itunes playlist trouble

lonemascot 11:38 24 Oct 2009

I recently added a new user to my PC. Now all the playlists in my itunes have disappeared. The music is still there though.

When I plug my ipod in to sync, it says the the library isn't registered to that ipod so nothing happens.

Is there a way to sync my itunes and ipod so that the ipod info transfers TO the itunes library and not the other way around so as to avoid deletion of the playlists.

It begs the question. What happens if my PC crashes and my itunes library is lost completely. How would I go about retrieving everything from the ipod?

If there are any other procedures to getting info off an ipod to itunes, i'd be interested in that too.

Cheers guys

john bunyan 12:57 24 Oct 2009

A few things I have learnt from having 3 iPods (a Touch and a Classic belonging to grandchildren, and a Classic belonging to my wife.
1. Have a back up - ideally on a second, maybe external HD of the iTunes folder including the music folder.
2. Set i Tunes to manually synch. That way each i Pod can synch what it wants and you wont synch a blank folder and lose stuff. To do this click on Edit, Preferences,Devices. then check the box "do not auto synch.."
3.In i Lounge( a good forum)you will see how to get i tunes off an iPOd, but if you set it as above, then in Start, Control Canel you i Pod should show as a drive and if you explor it you should find the music folder and you can copy and paste it to wher you want.
4. I have two libraries for the above reasons.Post back for further info from a rather shaky end user!!

john bunyan 13:05 24 Oct 2009

Rather than having a new user, you may find it easier to create a new library for the new user in the existing user profile. To do this hold down the shift key at the same time as the iTunes launch key and keep it held down. You can the choose to create a new library. You can then copy the music you want to this new library. We have two libraries , each with different playlists as our tastes are very different. You have to hold down the shift when launching to switch between libraries as i Tues wil; launch by default to the last opened library.

lonemascot 14:35 24 Oct 2009

Thanks john

this page is very handy click here. answers all the questions.

john bunyan 16:55 24 Oct 2009

Hope it works ok. Please, however do a back up, even if only to burn data DVD(s) of your iTunes music file!! Ideally a complete back up on an external HD of the whole i Tunes. JB

lonemascot 11:37 26 Oct 2009

I used this free program click here. Worked a treat. Have all my playlists, play counts etc etc back again. wahoo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?