Itunes malfunction, change in taskbar, virus?

9sublime 20:07 17 Jan 2007

Hey,
Two days ago I turned on my PC and the start up bar looked like the Windows 2000 bar (pale grey) rather than the blue XP bar. This changes back after a few seconds, but the time between pressing enter after typing the password and the system loading up takes a bit longer than usual.

Secondly, when I open itunes I get an error message to do with the audio/video playback and mixer. No sound comes from itunes and the tracks don't play, the time bar doesnt move for the songs.

When I reinstall the driver it works fine until the next start up.

Anyone had anything like this or know how to help?
Many thanks,
Jack.

superhoops 22:21 17 Jan 2007

Hi Yes I had exactly the same thing as you. I lost all my sound and the taskbar changed colour. After lots of head scratching and tearing out of hair I tried uninstalling Yadis backup program that I had recently installed and hey presto my sound came back. If you havent installed Yadis then its all a coincidence.

Got to admit I am getting very wary of installing new stuff. Only last week I installed
IOBit SmartDefrag. Couldnt shut the pc down after. Ended up uninstalling it and all was ok. Does anything work properly and not b...r up you pc?

9sublime 17:05 18 Jan 2007

well, ive had norton ghost on there for a while. could that be the problem? and i changed from mcafee to norton.
I also get an error message when I start up before login saying "memory could not be read" etc. but this is apparently very common.
many thanks for the response.
jack.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?