Itunes and itunes library disconnected

fadviser 22:57 11 Apr 2009

Help please.After downloading the latest itunes upgrade whenever I attempt to start itunes the following information appears.

'The itunes library.itl file cannot be found or created. The default location for this file is in the itunes folder in th 'My Music' folder'
all the musifiles appear to be in my external hard drivein a folder titled itunes music.

How do I get the two together ?

Thank you.

julius44 23:08 11 Apr 2009

I suggest that u uninstall itunes, and then re-install it, hopefully that should sort the problem. I think u downloaded itunes that had a corrupted file or something.

fadviser 23:54 11 Apr 2009

Thank you for a quick reply.
I did reinstall itunes and it made no difference. I didn't uninstall first. I thought I might lose the library.
I only have 256MB ram (new PC due), could this be a factor ?

julius44 00:24 12 Apr 2009

U need to uninstall itunes completely, DONT WORRY...u wont LOSE your library....ive had problems once or twice in the past, but your itunes library stays intact, but u must uninstall it, then reinstall it completely

fadviser 16:19 12 Apr 2009

Julius44 Thanks for your help. I tried your suggestion but the problem's still there. On the plus side, you were quite right,the library files are still there too.

iscanut 16:44 12 Apr 2009

One drastic way is to backup your ITunes folder in My Music and store it somewhere else and then reinstall ITunes and then move folder back again.Worth a try if all else fails.

fadviser 18:42 12 Apr 2009

Thanks iscanut. I guess i could do that fairly easily. The music folder is stored on an external hard drive so it shouldn't be too difficult to pop it back onto the C drive (just about enough space). However, as you say I'll try that if alse fails, maybe someone might have another idea. I'll certainly let you know if I try your suggestion.

john bunyan 19:08 12 Apr 2009

Do a search in Windows Explorer for iTunes Library.itl. I have two libraries in different locations - one for mu grandchildren and one for me.If the file is somewhere else , move it to iTunes. I keep back ups of all my music on an external HDD and also on DVD's.
Another way is to hold down the shift key when launching iTunes and you can then create an new or choose a library

brambles 15:50 13 Apr 2009

Re-creating the iTunes Library file
Follow these steps:

Quit iTunes.
Locate your iTunes folder.
For Mac OS X the iTunes folder is stored in:
/Users/[your username]/Music
For Microsoft Windows XP and 2000 the iTunes folder is stored in:
\Documents and Settings\[your username]\My Documents\My Music\
For Microsoft Windows Vista the iTunes folder is stored in:
\Users\[your username]\Music\
Open your iTunes folder.
Drag the iTunes Music Library.xml to the Desktop
Drag the following file from your iTunes folder to the Trash:
Mac OS X: "iTunes Library" (in versions of iTunes prior to 4.9 this was called "iTunes 4 Music Library")
Microsoft Windows: "iTunes Library.itl" (in versions of iTunes prior to 4.9 this was called "iTunes 4 Music Library.itl")
Open iTunes.
Tip: Do not add any content into iTunes at this point.

Choose File > Library > Import Playlist.
Navigate to the iTunes Music Library.xml file on the Desktop.
Mac users: Click Choose.
Windows users: Click Open.
Found this by typing library.itl in Google there are lots of links there.
Hope it helps f advisor

Brambles

^wave^ 16:47 13 Apr 2009

look at ilounge they do all things ipod great site

fadviser 18:46 13 Apr 2009

Thanks to all of you. I followed John Bunyan's advice and was able to open itunes while holding down the shift key. Although the library choice dialogue came up, it wouldn't work for me. However I found that by clicking on file and then 'Add folder to library' it was just a matter of identifying the correct folder and waiting about 20 minutes for it to transfer. I'll have to do the same thing with the games folder. All podcasts and videos came across though.
Brambles - I'll copy your advice also, in case the same thing happens again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone