Itunes and duplicates

herc182 18:19 27 Nov 2009

Am I being stupid here (probably).

In itunes you can "show duplicates".

But how do you delete one and keep the other? I have around 2000 or more entries. To delete the copy, i need to Ctrl+select every other file.

That takes forever. Does anyone know a better way? (and what is the point of the "show duplicates" if that is how its supposed to work?!)

thanks

canarieslover 18:31 27 Nov 2009

Not being a user of iTunes I can only guess that with that number of duplicates that you have two folders of those tunes, in which case find and delete one folder, or you have your iPod attached and it is showing those files and the ones on your computer, in which case do not delete them. Does iTunes not show the folder address next to the files???

herc182 21:35 27 Nov 2009

No its not a duplicate folder...its just that these files were imported twice.

Thanks

Any other ideas perhaps?

thanks

Technotiger 21:59 27 Nov 2009

Click on Show Duplicates, then go to Edit and click on Select All, then hit Delete button on keyboard, you will get prompts asking if you are sure etc, OK all into the Recycle bin, which you can empty as normal/or restore if you wish - job done!

herc182 08:30 28 Nov 2009

If i select all and delete, then i delete the duplicate AND the original. Thats the issue. There is no way of selecting just the duplicates and leaving the original..

Anyone else know a better way?

thanks

herc182 08:50 28 Nov 2009

that worked once before actually. Good thinking! But for some reason these were all the same date :(

I have done it manually now (took a while!). But there must be an easier way. I dont see the point of the "show duplicates" function in itunes...doesnt really serve a function apart from telling you what songs have a duplicate!

v1asco 08:51 28 Nov 2009

Can you sort them by date either on the ipod or imported to pc, then delete one lot, assuming they were installed different times.

antony17 15:51 18 Dec 2009

I’m sure that Clone Remover will be the best assistant for you. It is an award-winning small shareware utility to find duplicate files and to remove duplicate files. It will help you search duplicate files. Try it.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?