It's News to me

  Pesala 13:56 02 May 2003

I do not need a license to watch pre-recorded television programs. If I use the internet to watch live TV on streaming-video, apparently I need a license. If I only watch pre-recorded programs from the BBC's website, do I need a license? If so, why?

  recap 14:00 02 May 2003

I always thought that if you are using a video machine to watch anything you needed a license. This would be due to the video being a receiver. I could be wrong, if I am then I have just wasted money on a license just to watch pre-recorded training videos here at work.

  vaughan007 14:09 02 May 2003

I always thought you needed a license for anything CAPABLE of receiving television broadcasts. I also know there is some other part in TV licenses about portable TVs.

I can only assume that if it were possible to make a television permanently unable to receive TV broadcasts and only play pre-recorded videos then you would not need a license. How you could do this I do not know.

Of broadcasts on the web sort of make this law a bit wierd. Because, in theory, anyone with a PC and a modem would need a TV license.

I imagine that the proper written law for TV licenses is quite detailed. I am sure you could obtain the license details from somewhere to examine it.

All of the above is only my own pathetic understanding of TV licenses of course.

  Pesala 14:09 02 May 2003

click here

"Do I need a TV Licence if I only watch pre-recorded videos?"

There seems to be a lot of mis-information and confusion circulating on the issue of whether one needs a TV Licence in order to own a TV / VCR / DVD player that is only used to watch pre-recorded material.

The short answer:

If your TV and VCR/DVD player are only used to watch pre-recorded material (videos or DVDs) and never used to receive broadcasts, then you do not need a TV Licence. Keeping the broadcast receivers in the TV and the VCR de-tuned (DVD players don't normally contain receivers) is sufficient to prove to them that you do not use the equipment to receive broadcasts - but you must make sure that no picture, no matter how poor quality, is viewable on the screen. There is absolutely no need to physically modify, damage or remove the tuner or any other circuitry in the TV or VCR.

  vaughan007 14:12 02 May 2003

We appear to have posted at exactly the same time...with similar comments...strange that.


  Pesala 14:15 02 May 2003

Not only you, but many others including me do not actually know the law very well at all. For all my searching in Google I could not find a clear answer to my question: "Do I need a license to watch pre-recorded (not live) broadcasts of the News or any other program?"

Many people are unclear about the licensing requirements for students in hostels or rented rooms.

Nowadays, there are many watching TV on their PCs, but 99.99% probably have a TV too.

  GANDALF <|:-)> 14:52 02 May 2003

15 seconds on Google ;-)))) here and click here and click here


  crx1600 14:57 02 May 2003

PCA news story click here "the government is discussing possible extensions to what constitutes a TV set."

  Pesala 15:17 02 May 2003

Gandalf: I read all three of those links, but they don't answer my question.

First Link: TV Licensing Authority

"If you use or install television receiving equipment to receive or record television programme services you are required by law to have a valid TV Licence."

My question: "Is a cable modem 'television receiving equipment' or just 'data playback equipment'?"

Second Link: extract posted above. No need for a license to watch videos, as long as the VCR or DVD player is not tuned to receive television signals. Clear enough. Recap seems to have been frightened into buying a license when he need not have done.

Third Link: No mention of watching via a PC.

My understanding is if you have Tuner card you do need a license. If you watch via the Internet you might need a license for live broadcasts, but might not for recorded programs.

crx1600: This article seem to say that in July 2002 changes to the licensing law were being considered, implying that at that time no license was required for internet viewing.

So I am still unsure about the legal facts.

  hugh-265156 16:24 02 May 2003
  Pesala 16:52 02 May 2003

I already read that one too. It seems only to refer to live broadcasts.

But now, adds the Post Office's Michael Collins of their Customer Services department, "If your computer is capable of receiving live broadcasts, whether on-line, through an aerial or satellite dish, then it is classed as television receiving equipment..."

Still not convinced.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017