is it worththile changing my processor?

gbrittsf 09:43 31 Dec 2008

I have an amd sempron 1.7 processor with a sis 741 motherboard. Can i change the processor to an amd le1300 processor? Will it be worthwhile?

many thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:17 31 Dec 2008

No, you won't notice any difference.

Stuartli 10:31 31 Dec 2008

Which make and model of motherboard do you have with the SIS 741 chipset?

This specification for an ASrock mobo indicates that you could well fit a faster CPU and, perhaps, more RAM (which would help as much if not more).

click here

The up to Athlon XP 3200+ CPU it will support is the same CPU I have (it's the last of the line) and I have an MSI Via based K7 motherboard.

Use System Information of SIW to find out the make and model of your mobo.

Stuartli 10:33 31 Dec 2008

...or SIW....

click here (freeware)

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:45 31 Dec 2008

Not any noticeable difference for a lot of cash and effort with a high chance of it going wrong....badly. Stick in as much RAM as your computer can take, reforamt and reload windows (saving all your info first but this will make a huge difference as you will then have a fresh installation) and then only put on programmes that you really need. Only use 1 AV (a free one such as AVG or Avast) and one spyware 'detector' (superantispyware seems a good, free choice) and a firewall if you feel that you need one. If you are on BB, Windows firewall will be more than suficient.

Joe R 10:52 31 Dec 2008

gbrittsf,

this would make a big improvement to your system, and comes with a three year warranty. You would have to purchase a new operating system with it 'though.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017