Is it worth upgrading?

cracker23 14:44 23 Jan 2003
  cracker23 14:44 23 Jan 2003

hi i have had my computer for 4 months bought it 2nd hand and it works fine-i have had more memory put in and have been thinking of having a new processor & motherboard fitted it's a AMD Duron 950 although i have been told that it's been clocked-obviously before i got it i'd like advice as to weather it's worth having this done as i'm not sure as i said it's working fine thanks

Ming Bloke 14:55 23 Jan 2003

I have been told that a 1100duron chip is cheaper. I wanted to up grade but then I bought and xbox and buy my games for that.now my computer only computes.I will get a bigger hard disc and I got 192ram. I use a celeron chip at the moment(433) and it goes fine.
Upgrade to what you think you need.

Patr100 14:57 23 Jan 2003

No, if it's working fine.For most programs you won't notice any difference.

goonerbill 15:55 23 Jan 2003

if ya using ya pc for word docs, spreadsheets etc. you probably wont notice much difference. if ya playing games as well, a cpu and graphics card upgrade will be worth thinking off. post ya full specs mobo make, total ram and type, graphics card and people will have a better idea on what to advise you on upgrades.

Gongoozler 16:07 23 Jan 2003

cracker23, I don't think it is worth putting a faster processor in unless you can go to about 50% faster, in your case that would be a 1.3G Duron. If you want to do that, first check that your motherboard can take it, and second check that your power supply is powerful enough.

cracker23 16:22 23 Jan 2003

thank you for your reply a local shop will be doing it for me and they've already told me i might need a new motherboard the main reason i suppose that i was thinking of having it done is because the processor has been clocked and i would rather upgrade than wait a couple of years and then have to buy a whole new system,any further ideas? any would be appreciated

MartinT-B 16:48 23 Jan 2003

M8

You need to prioritise.

Sit down and decide if you really really want to up-grade, and if you do, what is your budget. You can't ask anyone else to make that decision for you.

Ask yourself - does my PC work to my satisfaction? Don't upgrade just because you think everyone else's PC maight be better/faster than yours.

Once you have a decision - move on.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but...

Martin.

cracker23 17:03 23 Jan 2003

the whole point i was trying to make is this-i an entirely happy with my pc-except for the fact that the processor has been clocked does this mean that it wont last as long,i dont know!! thanks for the reply anyway

Rayuk 17:21 23 Jan 2003

Just use your pc as is, if the Duron goes down you can always pick another one up,if it has only been clocked slightly and for a short length of time there shouldnt be a problem.
If you are that concerned see what the maximum cpu your board will take and buy one.[maybe even an Athlon]

cracker23 17:43 23 Jan 2003

thank you very much for your message-makes sense-ta again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?