It used to be a popular topic... Defrag

Graham* 01:19 25 Jul 2013

I thought my PC was doing it automatically, but it wasn't.

So I defragged (Vista). Immediately I noticed a speedier boot and resume from standby.

Try it.

Chronos the 2nd 06:04 25 Jul 2013

So many of us have moved to SSD hardrives that defragging is long longer necessary. To be honest I have not even done it on my 2 x 1TB secondary drives but as one has around 500GB of games on it, perhaps it is something I should do?

compumac 09:13 25 Jul 2013

I used to (in the distant past) defrag every week, but since then have used Diskeeper automatically defragging and completely forgot about it until I saw this posting. My main PC has slowed slightly over the past few months, so after seeing this posting I looked at Diskeeper, analysed and then defragged and it has quickened up. Going back to the distant past there were two main problems of slowing down - a need for defragging and the removal of temp files.

Chronos the 2nd 09:45 25 Jul 2013

Maybe this is the way the newer Windows OS's are but I have just run an analyses on my 1TB Steam HDD which has around 500GB of games on it and the message is 0% fragmented.

So perhaps for those of us who have later versions of Windows no longer need to concern ourselves with defragging.

wiz-king 11:54 25 Jul 2013

Windows 7 automatically defrags once a week unless to not to.

spuds 13:02 25 Jul 2013

Whether this is a subject that was once the thing to do, but now isn't due to people getting more 'computer savvy', and the components are getting more advanced, I wouldn't know. Perhaps someone else as an opinion or suggestions on that?.

But from my own experiences, I very seldom do this nowadays, even when I partake in fairly frequent clean-ups, which usually results in a speedier and less problematic computer. When I have done any defragmenting, its usually with one of those 'quick' defrag (Auslogic?) programmes, and not the operating systems own devices.

Batch 13:23 25 Jul 2013

I clean up and defrag my system partition once a month (or thereabouts) just before I take an image. Just me being tidy minded I suppose.

rdave13 14:01 25 Jul 2013

Same as Chronos the 2nd. Both ordinary drives show 0% fragmented but Windows wants to defrag the SSD.

Housten 17:39 25 Jul 2013

wiz-king,

Good afternoon,

You state that "Windows 7 automatically defrags once a week unless to not to."

I have "Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit" and I Defrag at least once a month. Could you, please, tell me how to get this as I have never seen this and it would save a lot of time and effort.

Many, many thanks in anticipation

spuds 18:06 25 Jul 2013

Housten

click here

john bunyan 18:29 25 Jul 2013

I use Auslogics defragmenter about once a week. Far quicker than the W7 one.See:

Auslogics defrag

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone