Is it time to upgrade to WinXP?

lodger 17:30 05 Dec 2006

Still on 98SE but finding many programmes need XP these days.... I can buy XP on cd for same price as second hand refurbished 1.4 Ghz PC with XP preloaded.........a no brainer?

Diemmess 17:40 05 Dec 2006

Just to be sceptical for a moment,a second hand refurbished 1.4 Ghz PC with XP is not perhaps such a bargain when you consider the huge size of XP when compared with 98SE or the other overheads involved.
I suspect the pre-loaded XP is a way to shift s/h stock which wouldn't otherwise sell.

On the positive side, if you have the CD as well.... it is a no brainer.

Jackcoms 18:15 05 Dec 2006

Why XP?

That's sooooooo 5 years ago.

Why not hang around until early next year and opt for Vista?

amrcomercio 19:06 05 Dec 2006

I would wait..
98se is stable and if it isnt broken dont fix it... You can wait as the xp prices will drop in the new year.

Lee

Ray5776 19:10 05 Dec 2006

I don`t know what your current machine is as you have not said, I agree with Diemmess on this, not really a good long term thing.
I would go for XP pro but on a better machine 2.00gh at very least, you will find XP is much better than 98SE even the home version.
As for Vista, forget it until it is tried and tested by others with more experience.

Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?