Is it terminal? Strange ticking sounds!!!!

woowoowoo 08:52 19 May 2007

Hi - I am having problems with my PC. That goes without saying I guess. When I start it there is a funny tick tick tick sound. I get to the log in for users page and then there is a morse code sounding noise SOS probably!
I then can't log into my area, but can go into the family page (no log in). Once there, anything I touch springs to life without me clicking!!!
Ok, so I log out of that and get back to the main log in page, and now I can log into my page and it works fine!
But when I turn the pc off it all starts again - any ideas? Is it on the way out?

Graham. 08:56 19 May 2007

You need to check the fans. Could be the CPU fan is sticking - that would cause it to rapidly overheat and sound the alarm. May be just fluff needs cleaning off.

woowoowoo 09:10 19 May 2007

Great - OK I will try that - its OK onece its all started though - if it was overheating wouldn't it get worse the longer I keep it on?

Gongoozler 09:19 19 May 2007

Could be a hard drive failing. Listen to some sounds of failing hard drives here click here.

Open up the computer case, roll a sheet of A4 paper into a long tube, then with one end against your ear use the other end to see if you can locate the source of the ticking.

woowoowoo 09:29 19 May 2007

Tried those sounds - none of them - now its running, its not making a noise - just on startup.

Gongoozler 09:53 19 May 2007

Ticking just on startup is almost always the CPU fan. It's only a real problem if the fan gets stuck, so it's a good idea to look into getting a replacement fan. They are generally very cheap - about £5 to £10.

woowoowoo 09:57 19 May 2007

ok - thanks for your help - I will let you know how I get on - I'm going to have a look at the fluff first and then go and get a new one.

Gongoozler 10:05 19 May 2007

Have a careful look at the offending fan. If you can get a new fan of the same size you should be able to remove the old one by undoing the screws that attach it to the heatsink. You should then be able to replace just the fan leaving the heatsink attached to the CPU. This is MUCH easier than replacing the whole heatsink.

woowoowoo 10:51 19 May 2007

Ok - I've been in and cleaned it out - yuk!!! Lots of dust. The fan seems to be fine - its going in anycase. I started the pc with the back off without anythng plugged in and the fan was going - no ticking sound. Plugged everything in and turned it on - back to the ticking sound. Same problem as above. As I say once I am in its OK - I'm in now.

Gongoozler 11:30 19 May 2007

"Plugged everything in and turned it on" - What did you plug in?

Things that can make a noise in the PC -
CPU fan
Chipset fan
Graphics card fan
PSU fan
Case fan
(sometimes there are other fans but not commonly)
Hard drives
CD/DVD drives
floppy drives
Case speaker
There may be others but I can't think of any.

woowoowoo 11:36 19 May 2007

Um - well when I had the casing off - I plugged in the mains cable and turned the pc on - I had all the other bits that go into the back like the mouse, screen, keyboard etc disconected. So like that no ticking noise. then i put it all back together again - and ticking again. The ticking stops once windows is all loaded. Thats what I meant.
Confused from Swindon

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?