Is it safe to use Tiscali Email?

patyrosie 09:49 06 Mar 2004

I am concerned that if I use Tiscali 150Kbps Email I have to dis-enable my Norton Firewall, is this a safe thing to do?

Forum Editor 10:00 06 Mar 2004

You should be able to tell it to allow the Tiscali connection.

cycoze 10:24 06 Mar 2004

Have a look in the firewall`s configuration as it may have blocked your mail program , a little more info would help , what Operating system ? what email browser? what version of Norton ie:- Norton Internet security 2004 , Norton Personal Firewall 2003.

To allow traffic for Outlook Express in NIS or NPF 2003 and 2004
Open NPF or NIS. Click Personal Firewall.
Click "Configure" on the right side of the screen. Click the Program Control tab. Locate and click Microsoft Outlook Express in the list at the bottom of the screen. Under the heading "Internet Access," click the arrow beside the Microsoft Outlook Express entry.
Click Automatic. Click OK.

To allow traffic for Outlook Express in NISor NPF 2002 Open NPF or NIS. Click Internet Access Control. Locate and click Microsoft Outlook Express in the list at the bottom of the screen.
Under the heading "Internet Access," click the arrow beside the Microsoft Outlook Express entry.
Click Automatic.
Exit NIS or NPF.

Norton AntiSpam, which is installed as part of NIS 2004, is not compatible with HTML based email clients, or encrypted POP3, SSL, or IMAP connections. Using NIS to filter these types of connections may result in an inability to access your email.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?