Is it safe to disable my antivirus & firewall?

CurlyWhirly 20:31 07 Jul 2004

I have an external USB ADSL modem and what I was wondering was if I click on the Windows taskbar and select the 'safely remove hardware' option and selecting 'stop' a message comes up saying that 'the hardware can safely be removed from the system'.
When this happens ALL my modem lights go out so does this mean that it is safe to disable my antivirus and firewall?
I was just wondering as sometimes you have to disable antivirus when installing software (example: Train Railway Simulator 2004) and this would be a better solution than physically disconnecting the USB cable from the hub at the back of the PC which I find is a bit awkward to get to!

THE TERMINATOR 20:38 07 Jul 2004

You don't need to disable norton, if you need to uninstall any other software or hardware.

CurlyWhirly 20:40 07 Jul 2004

Hi - I don't use Norton, I use McAfee firewall 4.0 and VirusScan 7.0 Professional

THE TERMINATOR 20:43 07 Jul 2004

Why don't you pull the USB cable out of the modem itself. Or disconnect from the internet to install new software...TT

CurlyWhirly 20:47 07 Jul 2004

Wear and tear! Also I want to disable antivirus and firewall when running graphic intensive games so as to free up as many resources as possible and as I run games quite a lot it means a lot of wear and tear!

THE TERMINATOR 20:51 07 Jul 2004

The statement "close programs before installing software is a folly that was used in the days of old to avoid software "clashes" in todays software this doesn't happen much, but is now put there to cover software writers backs in case it does....TT

THE TERMINATOR 20:55 07 Jul 2004

It is safe to disable firewall and virus as long as you don't connect to the internet....TT

shizzy 20:58 07 Jul 2004

I think you close down all software when installing, offline of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?