Is it safe to delete .ptn files

johnem 17:32 30 Aug 2003

I have recently found that a considerable number of .ptn files have been created in all sorts of folders. I believe that these files have been created by Scansoft Paperport programme. They are all titled "PPThumbs.ptn". I can get the files to open when associating them with Scansoft or any other programme. As I cannot open them, is it safe to delete them. Any suggestions.

TBH1 17:59 30 Aug 2003

why not just delete 'em - - - -but leave them in recycle bin, just in case ?? I had same kind of experience sometime ago with *.prn files - - -these files created when you choose to print to file as opposed to print to, well, printer - - - never got to know how you opened these kinda files and so never got to grips why the option was ther to 'print to file' ..
Not much help I guess but am on Tennents Super right now and we did win away today.
Good luck.

johnem 18:20 30 Aug 2003

Thanks TBH1, I will probably follow your suggestion. Well done your team.

powerless 20:06 30 Aug 2003
  Alan2 20:55 30 Aug 2003

This may help you with *.prn files.

To print to you need to be in DOS - or command line - and type filename.prn lpt1:/b

This prints out the file BUT as I found not with the same quality as using the normal direct printer methods.

johnem 21:47 31 Aug 2003

Thanks Powerless, that confirms my original thoughts. I think I will put them in the bin, just incase for a few days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie