Is it safe to buy an OEM for my new pc?

nazarene 23:08 18 Jul 2009

Hi, I have a new pc but as yet no OS. I am going to purchase an OEM Windows XP Home for it. I have found a cheap one which says it is genuine, licensed, and in an unopened pack. It originally went with a dell computer, but he says it has never been activated - would it be wise to trust this. A friend has given me his XP disc with activation code, but I think it may be an OEM which I understand won't work on another pc. How can I tell looking at the disc if it is an OEM? Written on the disc amongst other things is: "for distribution with a new PC only" and "Microsoft products are licensed to OEMs by Microsoft" etc. Do I just simply have to buy another OEM being as here in Australia there is virtually no full retail ones available. Thanks in advance.

recap 23:19 18 Jul 2009

click here it may answer your questions?

Forum Editor 01:11 19 Jul 2009

is licenced for, and intended for use on a new computer only. The licence officially 'dies' when the computer does, you may not install it on another machine, which is why you saw "for distribution with a new PC only".

If OEM software was legal to use on any computer we would all be buying it - Microsoft wouldn't sell anything else.

Diemmess 11:41 19 Jul 2009

FE has stated very clearly the correct and legal situation.
However, your PC is new and if you can buy an OEM version from the PC supplier, I cannot see why you shouldn't go that way.

More questionable is to buy an OEM version from a separate source.
Provided it is used with the new PC the spirit of the act is the same and neither Micrsoft nor anyone else is the loser.

Strawballs 22:31 20 Jul 2009

I'm with Diemmess on this one. If it is still sealed and never been activated and you are installing on new build PC I can't see the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone