Is it possible to....Windows 7 query

metalmiky 18:50 25 Oct 2013

Hello to all,

This may be a noob question but im gonna ask anyway... Is it possible to use windows 7 os that I have on my desktop to install a fresh on a laptop (that I have just got for free) via .iso copy??? the laptop is a bit old now its a Amilo pro v3515 running xp professional which I have formatted and reinstalled and while updating service pack ect I noticed that support for older os is stopping next year, hence my question, I have flashed bios for latest and installed max ram at 2gb so I pretty sure it will handle it. The windows 7 .iso is from dell desktop Any help appreciated. thanks

Zak 19:10 25 Oct 2013

"The windows 7 .iso is from dell desktop" This very much looks like an OEM ( original equipment manufacturer)version of Win 7 so the answer is no. However if you actually bought a retail copy of Win 7 from Dell then once uninstalled from the Dell machine it can be put on another PC/Laptop.

lotvic 20:20 25 Oct 2013

Zak, where did you get your info from? The answer is not a complete 'no'. Dell install DVD's use a Royalty OEM key and it depends on the Dell BIOS version if OS will install without asking for a product key. If the BIOS SLP does not match a Product Key will be asked for during install. Also Dell do not sell retail copies of W7.

metalmiky, please explain what you mean by 'The windows 7 .iso is from dell desktop'. Is this an .iso you have made yourself?

Zak 10:41 26 Oct 2013

lotvic

I stand corrected thanks; I should have just said "retail copy of Win7"

lotvic 20:16 26 Oct 2013

Zak, just wanted to keep thread straight :)

I'm puzzled by OP saying an .iso file, as that can't be used 'as is' for any sort of an install. The .iso will have to be burnt to a DVD (using a burn program that can handle .iso files) Hopefully metalmiky will post back with more details so that we can help further.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?