Is it possible to save Windows update files??

csqwared 20:28 13 Feb 2008

Hi

I like to do a clean install every so often but it's a real pain having to wait for the 80 or so updates to download and install. Is it possible to save the downloads to disc and install from there? I have XP Home and XP Pro (2 machines) if there's a difference.

Thanks

cc

Technotiger 21:35 13 Feb 2008

Why!!!

Surely you would be better of by arming yourself with Acronis True Image and keeping up-to-date backups on an external hard-drive.

I have never re-installed my XP Home since first getting it some years ago, I have never needed to do a re-install.

csqwared 21:04 14 Feb 2008

I've always felt that hopping in and out of the www, doing installs and uninstalls of various bits of software for evaluation etc. leaves a degree of clutter on the machine. I do have and use Acronis, and it is on an external drive and, no, I never had a problem with either version of XP (Home & Pro) on the two machines I have. Just put it down to an old gimmers fad. So, is it possible?

cc

skidzy 21:08 14 Feb 2008
  AlanHo 21:27 14 Feb 2008

This site will provide you with the means to download and save updates.

click here

However - you first need to find out which ones you require. You can do this from the MS Update site by clicking on the view updates link and making a note of the numbers. Then go onto the MS update catalogue and select what you need.

Stuartli 23:36 14 Feb 2008

Unfortunately AutoPatcher, which is what I normally recommend, was stopped by Microsoft last year from issuing such convenient update material.

It's still on offer up to last August and there is hope that it could be revived.

csqwared 19:27 17 Feb 2008

I think I can consider that answered - thanks very much for your input.

cc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?