Is it possible with Linux?

lodger 15:17 03 Jun 2008

I'm very happy with my PCLinuxOS, except that my speedtouch usb st330 wont recognise it....modem works fine on win98se and win 2000.....anyone have any ideas?

woodchip 15:22 03 Jun 2008

Is it USB? you should be able to run it by going to the connection or networking part. Linux is like going back to DOS when you get under the bonnet to make things work

lodger 20:21 03 Jun 2008

to be a driver thing......no support for the usb modem, ive downloaded latest st330 drivers but still no good......i may have to bypass usb modem and use an ethernet modem instead, ethernet modems dont need a driver......bit expensive though :(

iguana 20:26 03 Jun 2008

suggest you try an external modem as linux does have driver probs with some internal modems

LastChip 20:51 03 Jun 2008

You probably can get your st330 to work - click here for more details. I have to tell you however, this particular modem has never been an easy option in Linux.

The easy way is to buy an ADSL Modem/Router. Once-upon-a-time, people would scream they couldn't afford it and for some, I appreciate that may still be true. But, it IS the easy answer to connect ANY computer to the Internet and prices have fallen dramatically. It also opens the door to using more than one computer simultaneously.

Once you have one of these, just plug into an RJ45 (network) port and Linux will self configure.

lodger 22:06 03 Jun 2008

a visit to that site has convinced me that life is too short to worry about money........:)..........i'm off to ebay to find an ethernet modem.......Linux looks too good to miss!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone