Is it possible to inrease computer power/speed

23790954 15:41 23 Oct 2007

As an elderly silver surfer, my hobby is my desktop computer. My computer, which I built myself, is stable and in good working condition.
However I wondered if it was possible to increase its performance, just for something to learn. The system is built using a Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI motherboard, supported by an AMD 3800+ 64
processor, with 1.5gb DDR 3200 memory. The hard drive used is a SATA 11 internal hard drive.
I figure my options to be: increase the size of socket 939 processor; or, increase the amount of memory, (the motherboard is capable of holding 4 gig.) If I did either of these things would the performance be noticable or not. I have never attempted to improve the performance by way of adjusting the cpu settings in the bios, as I would not know where to start.
If any expert could give me their views on the above, it would be appreciated, as well as any websites relating to same that I can view.
Thanks for any advice given.

woodchip 15:46 23 Oct 2007

If I was you I would leave it alone. If you want to laern a bit Why not go to a Computer shop or your local Dumpit site for a old computer that you can play with

woodchip 15:47 23 Oct 2007

PS i am going on 72

Technotiger 15:58 23 Oct 2007

I suppose if you really want something to learn you could upgrade your OS to Vista, though I don't like Vista myself - but it would certainly give you something to learn.

Otherwise, I agree with woodchip, you already have a pretty decent system.

22781234 get-some-in, as they (used to) say :-))

23790954 16:09 23 Oct 2007

I am obviously a lot younger at heart than woodchip or technotiger, and do not want to sit around letting time pass me by. I would sooner take some expert advice on things I find interesting, and learn how to improve things.
If others find this unacceptable, that is there problem. If there are any computer technicians out there that read my post, sensible advice on the matter would be appreciated.

pac73 16:12 23 Oct 2007

To be honest,i think you,ve already been given sensible advice.

Technotiger 16:15 23 Oct 2007

Thank you for that ... I thought I was giving sensible advice too!

woodchip 16:19 23 Oct 2007

And me. Why spoil a GOOD COMPUTER

woodchip 16:20 23 Oct 2007

How can you take advice as above in the wrong way?????

Technotiger 16:26 23 Oct 2007

You will probably find that XP (assuming that is your present OS) will not be happy with 4Gb RAM, which is what you were partly querying, which is why I suggested Vista - link to help your learning ...

click here

23790954 16:28 23 Oct 2007

I cannot understand the previous replies to my post. I ask advice on increasing the performance of my computer by a. increasing the size of the cpu; or b. by increasing the amount of memory installed in it, or any websites which may offer advice on the matter, and all the advice I am given is to leave it alone. To all other readers of this post, please do not use the same reply, as had I NOT wanted to improve my computer knowledge, I would NOT have posted
the query. IF I am interested in improving my computer knowledge, then so be it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?