Is it possible to have a multi-session with XP's

TommyRed 17:45 30 Nov 2003

own built-in CD-RW? If not and I have to buy software, what is Nero OEM? I know what Nero is but what does the OEM mean and would it be any good for me. Thanks TR

Djohn 18:05 30 Nov 2003

Exactly the same as the retail version [Original Equipment Manufacturer]is what OEM stands for, and in general is hardware/software sold to system builders/suppliers for distribution with a new PC.

Most suppliers will sell you an OEM version of software if you buy a small hardware item at the same time. Many will sell the software without these restrictions applied.

In general, buy the OEM version and save yourself a fair bit of money. The main concern is that the supplier is responsible and not the manufacturer for help with any setting up of hardware/software. This will in most cases not present any problems, especially with software. j.

jimv7 18:56 30 Nov 2003

I have a cd for use in other computers that I keep all the avg updates on, as they become available. I use xp's software to add files to the cd.

So multi-session is possible.

TommyRed 23:41 30 Nov 2003

Thanks, I saw a Nero OEM link on this site for £4.98 can't remember where, I'll have to do a search.

jimv7
I have a multi-session disc open where I add files when I download new programs etc which I think may be useful to friends. All of the programs up to now where done on my old 98SE PC with Nero 5.5, when I tried to add to it today I got a knockback offa XP. How do you do it? TR

Stuartli 09:10 01 Dec 2003

A Nero OEM copy is normally only able to be used with the specific brand and model of rewriter purchased; you can update it as necessary on the ahead website, but your copy of Nero is checked first.

I've had three TDK rewriters over the years and the Nero software supplied relates only to the particular rewriter it came with; TDK's own jukebox etc software is also on the CD-ROM.

DieSse 10:03 01 Dec 2003

"A Nero OEM copy is normally only able to be used with the specific brand and model of rewriter purchased"

If you buy it with a writer, it could be personalised, and as you say have extra software with it - in this case the writer manufacturer is clearly making up the CDs.

But it is quite possible to buy OEM versions of Nero for general use - I know this for sure, as I do so from two different wholesalers.

Xevious 10:08 01 Dec 2003

agreed 100% with DieSse, I do the same, and haven't found any problems yet... (touch wood!)

Xevious 10:23 01 Dec 2003

which wholesalers do you use?

the only one i've been using is click here but there must be other good sites?

ta

TommyRed 20:02 01 Dec 2003

Still waiting to find out how to write a multi-session disc with XP's own CD-RW and can't find link for Nero OEM at £4.98 so any supplier doing it as or nearly as cheap? Thanks TR

TommyRed 21:13 01 Dec 2003

bump

Xevious 12:59 02 Dec 2003

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017