Is it possible to change the persons name (mine)

  Giggle n' Bits 01:25 20 Aug 2003

in the My Computer (properties screen) without damaging the registry or files. I reinstalled 98Se and spelt my name wrong.

I am familiar with the registry in 98Se.

I have searched forum as I remember months ago the same question was asked but unable to locate the older post.

  LastChip 02:02 20 Aug 2003

Just open the registry editor and use the "Find" function to find all entries with your incorrectly spelled name.

When you find an entry, "right click" it, select "modify" and change your name to the correct spelling.

After the first entry is completed, use "F3" to continue the search and change each incorrect entry, until a message comes onto the screen telling you the search is complete.

  LastChip 02:04 20 Aug 2003

I suggest you back-up (export) your registry, just in case of error, and you need to re-install a known good registry.

  Giggle n' Bits 13:01 20 Aug 2003

That looks easy enough. Will close post after i have completed the task.

  Giggle n' Bits 13:05 20 Aug 2003

Thank you LastChip !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017