is it possible

coubury 08:57 08 Feb 2007

is it possible to have a second graphics card on your pc if you have already an onboard one

i got vista the other day and i ran a scan on my dads computer to see what version it could take to my amazement it could only take basic, i wondered why his pc had 1gb of ram 160gb hardrive etc etc but it was his graphics card which was gonna cause problems here is his pc here click here

now im wondering if he got another graphics card would that be ok do i need to take the other out are what?

xania 09:08 08 Feb 2007

Some motherboards with on-board graphics do have an AGP or PCI-E slot to take a more powerful graphic card. Yours has 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, 1 x PCI Express x1 slot. So the answer is YES. You will have to disable your on-board card in BIOS before you can work with your new card. Using the old card, go into the BIOS and switch off the card. Save the settings then switch off, install & connect your new card, then switch on.

Technotiger 09:09 08 Feb 2007

Hi, yes you can fit a dedicated Graphics card. Your dads pc does not have a graphics card - graphics are built-in to the motherboard.

terryf 09:15 08 Feb 2007

You can't physically take it out, it is part of the motherboard. When you install another graphics card, you will have been given a cd with the drivers for the card and the New Hardware wizard will ask you for this cd. However, you should be aware that some graphics card impose additional load on the power supply and you may have to increase the rating of that. I have an nvidia gforce 7600 that gave problems until I changed the psu to a Trust '520W Low Noise Big Fan'. Yes, that is the mfr name for this psu! The mobo graphics will be ignored when you fit the new card.

terryf 09:16 08 Feb 2007

I didn't have to go into the bios but remember xania's advice in case you do have any problems

coubury 09:20 08 Feb 2007

thanks for the great advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?