Is it possible to...

ACOLYTE 21:01 06 Feb 2007

I want to know if what i am thinking can be done,i have 2 pc's connected via a router sharing the conn,but i dont have another cable to connect a 3rd pc,so what i was wondering is can i connect the 3rd pc to the 2nd pc via crossover cable and share my internet connection that way?

Bearing in mind that the 2nd pc shares the connection with me via a router,i guess im asking if i can setup ICS on a pc that already shares with me,im losing myself now but i hope you understand lol.

Technotiger 21:05 06 Feb 2007

Hmmm, why not connect one of the pcs wirelessly?

ACOLYTE 21:06 06 Feb 2007

I didnt want to fork out for other hardware if i could use what i have already lol

Technotiger 21:07 06 Feb 2007

Cheapskate :-))

ACOLYTE 21:07 06 Feb 2007

LOL,just saving pennies,so you think it can be done?

Technotiger 21:09 06 Feb 2007

Just joking of course. But a pci ethernet card for one of the pcs would only be about £15.

Technotiger 21:12 06 Feb 2007

Anyway, re your first question, I don't think there would be any harm down in giving it a try.

Technotiger 21:12 06 Feb 2007

done - not down!

ACOLYTE 21:13 06 Feb 2007

All the pc's have LAN cards,and i have a crossover cable as i had it set up for ICS before i got the router.
In the documents in windows it does show 3 or more pc's set up but as you say wirelessly,i would rather have it connected Via Lan cards if i can.

ACOLYTE 21:14 06 Feb 2007

Just a thought the 2nd pc would need 2 lan cards?
can i use the onboard as well as a pci lan card at the same time?

Technotiger 21:20 06 Feb 2007

Well, first, I am not an expert in these things (though I do have my own little home network), but I was thinking in your case - one wired to router the other with lan card wirelessly to router! or am I missing something?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?