Is it ok to leave printer switched on?

STEVE71163 08:35 08 Oct 2003

I bought a new printer yesterday (An Epson C84) but when i tried to put it in my computer cabinet it had to go somewhere different and it works great but to get to the on off switch you have to be a contortionist. Will it do any harm just leaving it switched on?

Many thanks

rawprawn 08:43 08 Oct 2003

I have a Canon i850, it says in the instruction book that if you are not going to use it for a while switch it off. I used to leave my last printer switched on all the time, but it only lasted 2 years. I don't know what caused it to fail it may not have been due to leaving it turned on, but I now turn off.

only me 09:03 08 Oct 2003

I have a EPSON c60 which cleans ink heads when comp starts, up so i think while computer is on standby or idle, printer is not on. I have left it off before for 2 weeks, and on first printout, had to clean heads before getting good printout

Stuartli 09:25 08 Oct 2003

I have a seven-year-old Canon BJC600e which uses four cartridges.

Each time it is switched on it performs a cleanup routine and therefore some of the ink is lost from each cartridge.

So I leave it on - at least whilst the computer is on - otherwise I would be constantly replacing the cartridges.

Unfortunately if I switch the system off whilst the printer is still on, it goes through the cleaning routine again when the computer is switched back on.

But it's a great printer - well built, remarkably quiet, prints as good as the day I got it and all I've ever had to do for it is to buy replacement cartridges (either JR or JetTech) from CPC in Preston (click here) at around £2 per cartridge. Double capacity black cartridges are about 50p extra...:-)

graham√ 09:37 08 Oct 2003

I would switch it off. A short extension lead may make life easier. The power supply units get a little warm, so a fire risk is always a consideration.

STEVE71163 20:18 09 Oct 2003

Thanks for the replys. I will work out a way of turning it off. :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?