Is it me - or is it Virgin?

Chris the Ancient 10:27 02 Dec 2006

Lately, I've been getting more and more 'drop outs' with my b/b connection with Virgin.

Running XP with SP2 on a slightly older machine. Using Firefox as my browser.

Using a Netgear DG834GUK wireless router/modem (but, currently, with the wireless features switched off as I don't need them at the moment).

Located in the north Bristol area.

Have checked the Virgin service status pages and they claim that all is OK.

The router status shows, when I'm connected, good speeds; but when I'm on the net, I get lots of lost connections. Checking the router connection status shows that the connection has been dropped and it can sometimes take a couple of minutes to get one back. And, despite the supposed good connection speeds, some sites take forever to download.

So, is it me or is it Virgin? Am I missing something obvious?

I'm afraid I have to go out to work until later this afternoon. But when I get back, I shall revisit and then follow any suggestions ideas.

TIA

CtA

vinnyT 10:57 02 Dec 2006

It may not be you or virgin, it may be down to old/bad wiring between your house and the exchange (in which case, I think it is down to bt).

You could get in touch with bt and ask them to check the line, luckily, I've never had to do this, but I know that some on this forum have had to do so, with any luck they will see this and tell you which tel No is required.

Chris the Ancient 17:38 02 Dec 2006

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

Interesting thoughts there - ones that I may need to progress.

I've also noticed someone else in the forum complaining of low speeds at

click here

so I've tried them. The bt speedtest seems to be very busy at the moment and won't let me in to do that line check. The Namesco speedtest gives interesting results... over a few tests, anything from 110k to 350k download on what is supposed to be a 4M+ line and uploads of 175-200k. Hmmm!!!

Anyway, I shall try further when the net is quieter and see what develops. And I shall try and persuade bt that my line may be a bit faulty. It shouldn't be, the flat I live in is only about 2-3 years old. Perhaps they have some serious ingress of all this moisture into the system somewhere! There's been plenty of it of late.

CtA

SANTOS7 17:57 02 Dec 2006

Had similar last week, left it for a day, normal service resumed....
Virgin 4meg B/B, north yorks..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone