Is it a good idea to sign up for BT Broadband?

Spark Up 10:53 07 Mar 2003

There's this deal that has recently just started that involves signing up for BT Broadband before the 31st of this month. You save £60 with free connection,as well as £30 on the price of your broadband modem,thats normally £80.A flat monthly fee of £27 with direct debit is included in your BT phone bill.
So here is my enquiry: would any of you either reccomend or sign up for BT Broadband or any other broadband service. Is it a good idea to sign up?

leo49 10:57 07 Mar 2003

click here

A cheaper package and a good service. Been with Pipex for almost a year and no regrets at all.

Regards

€dstow 10:58 07 Mar 2003

I've been with BT Broadband since it started.

I don't have any complaints.

€d

HighTower 10:59 07 Mar 2003

Once you have experienced broadband you will never go back to 56k. The speed is awesome. I use nildram click here who are superb.

born_to_knit 13:00 07 Mar 2003

Most broadband services offer comparable results in terms of speed for general use, as far as I can see. Make sure you check any extras each package may have - do they offer free webspace? What is the helpline like - can you get through easily or will you be on hold for 20 minutes, and what will it cost? What will it cost and what will be provided for domain names/hosting, if you need it? What's on offer in terms of webmail and email accounts (all services will offer these free but if you are going to use them instead of, say, hotmail, the interface and service offered may as well be the best you can find)? Do they offer backup (some services offer a backup line, such as plusnet). How flexible is the contract - can you buy by the month or do you have to sign up for 12 months making it hard to change your mind in that time (this is the case with most providers)?

I'm sure your biggest consideration is price, however. Plusnet (click here) is cheaper to install (about £60) and cheaper per month (just over £20 rather than £30 for BT) than most other services , with a good range of extras in the package. BT (so I hear) offers good service but is pretty pricey, even with money off. Someone I know uses Pipex, and apparently it's very solid and cheap too.

Good luck

born_to_knit 13:01 07 Mar 2003

Most broadband services offer comparable results in terms of speed for general use, as far as I can see. Make sure you check any extras each package may have - do they offer free webspace? What is the helpline like - can you get through easily or will you be on hold for 20 minutes, and what will it cost? What will it cost and what will be provided for domain names/hosting, if you need it? What's on offer in terms of webmail and email accounts (all services will offer these free but if you are going to use them instead of, say, hotmail, the interface and service offered may as well be the best you can find)? Do they offer backup (some services offer a backup line, such as plusnet). How flexible is the contract - can you buy by the month or do you have to sign up for 12 months making it hard to change your mind in that time (this is the case with most providers)?

I'm sure your biggest consideration is price, however. Plusnet (click here) is cheaper to install (about £60) and cheaper per month (just over £20 rather than £30 for BT) than most other services , with a good range of extras in the package. BT (so I hear) offers good service but is pretty pricey, even with money off. Someone I know uses Pipex, and apparently it's very solid and cheap too.

Good luck

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:59 07 Mar 2003

1) BT is unlikely to go bust. *cough* NTL, Telewest *cough*

2) They 'own' the lines.

3) They have a good record for service etc.

4) They are probaly the most experienced. Anyone who thinks BT is naff ought to try to get a local line in the States at peak times and then deal with the semi-trained baboons and wise cracking harpies that Ma Bell collects.

5) I use NTL BB uring the daylight hours and if you are surfing the web there is little speed difference in page transitons, the only advantage being uploads and downloads.

G

raygraphix 14:10 07 Mar 2003

Yes.........You will be amazed.......what you can get......

Time is ££££££££££££.

Go 4 it.......

Rama

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?