Before it goes pear shaped....

deggsymann 08:13 17 Jan 2004

Posted yesterday about prob where had a system drive with xp installed on a 4gb partition on a 8gb drive,had installed xp onto a new 80gb drive on a 10 gb partition but it wouldnt boot - NTLDR not found.

If i put the old drive back in as a slave, i got the option of 2 xp's to choose from and could run from the new xp no problem.

A friend brought round a prog called Partition Magic and copied the old system partition to the new drive and deleted the other xp.

Now i can boot with just the new drive but get the option of 3 xps now. If i reinstalled xp but didnt format the drive, would that get rid of the options? Also how big can i make the partion as i kept running out of space on the old drive - hence the new drive?

deggsymann 08:19 17 Jan 2004

By the way i would get him to resize with partition magic not by formatting again - thought i ought to mention that fact

deggsymann 09:18 17 Jan 2004

Sod it, im going to go for it , i can always copy the original drive again if it doesnt work.

Big Elf 11:16 17 Jan 2004

It's something to do with editing the hidden file boot.ini. Hopefully someone can advise how it should be amended. This is what mine looks like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

MichelleC 11:25 17 Jan 2004

This may help click here

deggsymann 17:10 19 Jan 2004

had a go at your suggestions and all is well again.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?