Is it a bulk emailer I need?

edennorman 08:05 06 Nov 2006

Hello

I have a small list of about 80 people I wish to send the same email.

Is it a bulk emailer I need? Can anyone recommend a simple software, or better still a freeware version.

I have heard that bulk emailers often get accused of sending spam, at least I picked that idea up from somewhere. My sevrer...cegetel.net has been blacklisted by AOL as someone with a cegetel account sent huge ammounts of spam, so I am very sensitive to this problem at the moment.
It would take quite a while to send these mails one by one throught outlook express.

Thank you for your help.

eden

TomG 08:18 06 Nov 2006

I think you are right to be concerned about being seen as a spammer. Could you set up a group contact in OE that way the email will only be sent once?

TomG 08:19 06 Nov 2006

I think you are right to be concerned about being seen as a spammer. Could you set up a group contact in OE that way the email will only be sent once?

TomG 08:19 06 Nov 2006

whoops!

edennorman 08:33 06 Nov 2006

Thank you TomG for the reply.

I am not sure what you mean when you talk about setting up a group contact, would it be possible for you to go into that a little.

I am very much concerned about being seen as a spammer, though none of the people I am sending the mail to would see it as spam.

eden

Taff™ 11:25 06 Nov 2006

I e-mail up to 300 people at a time for a Society but I use Word mail merge features (Merge to e-mail) and Outlook. (Not Express) This means that each recipient gets an individual personalised e-mail. The group e-mail is a good suggestion for 80 people.

I have had problems intermittently with being blacklisted but this seems to last a couple of days and resolves itself fairly quickly so no great problems. I would suggest you check with your ISP for recommendations. For example I was told to keep my group distribution lists to less than 100 and keep file attachments at no more than 300Kb. I have therefore split one of my distribution lists into two and when I use the merge feature option for the larger distribution list (300) I send them in batches of 100 at a time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?