Issues with Right-Clicking and Copy n Paste

Matley 14:22 04 Feb 2007

Okay, this is an odd one but when I right-click a blank space on a window it tries to reinstall ATI Catalyst.

It also does this when I copy and paste a file. I'm guess my laptop really wants to reinstall ATI, but there is nothing wrong with it...however I can't reinstall it because when it attempts to install itself it can't find a particular MSI file.

So what do you think?

rawprawn 14:27 04 Feb 2007

Redownload it and reinstall. Is this it?

click here

Matley 14:34 04 Feb 2007

That's the one, however I can't use the download from the actual ATI site because my laptop is made by Acer and so I have to get my updates from Acer's website...problem is, the link for the update is broken.

Nonetheless, do you think I just need to reinstall ATI? But still, why does ATI and right-clicking a window have to do with each other?

rawprawn 14:52 04 Feb 2007

I don't know why its affecting your right click. The only other suggestion I have is to Try a system file scan, go to Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (Watch the space between sfc and /) hit enter. You will need your XP CD

wee eddie 14:56 04 Feb 2007

Does it actually try to download or is it just the top Option?

Matley 15:11 04 Feb 2007

Rawprawn - I don't have an XP CD coz my OS was pre-installed and Acer doesn't supply a disc with the laptop. Gotta love Acer sometimes

Wee Eddie - it tries to install, not download.

rawprawn 15:14 04 Feb 2007

You can run sfc from your C: drive but you have to make a few changes, here is how.

First make sure you have Folder 1386 in C: Drive, if not locate it on the XP CD and copy it to C:

Start, Run, 'regedit', OK.

Backup the Registry in case of trouble: File, Export (to a place of your choice).

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsCurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one we want is called:

SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to:

C:
Simply double click the SourcePath setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer and try scannow sfc again!

Matley 15:46 04 Feb 2007

Scan completed but no change. I guess it was a registry problem then scandisk would have found the problem too

Matley 15:47 04 Feb 2007

...IF it was a registry problem...

rawprawn 16:17 04 Feb 2007

I still think that you need to reinstall, if the link on the Acer site is down can you contact their support and explain the problem. I don't understand why do you have to get updates only from Acer. (I have never had an Acer)

Matley 16:53 04 Feb 2007

Yeah that's probably the best bet. Not sure why Acers are any different to other manufacturers, perhaps a member of the company took on ATI's office kitten or something

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?