Issues with installing my operating system.

jack.m101 00:12 25 Sep 2009

Hi guys i am sort of new to the whole upgrading process of computers. i have just bought a new mother board ( Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L Intel P31 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard ) and also a new processor ( Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 "LGA775 Core 2" 2.50GHz (800FSB) - Retail ) from overclockers.co.uk.

once i had wired it all up i turned it on and then it went to the windows screen where it says that it can not strat properly ( im sorry i dont know its real name) then i read on the internet that i needed to re install my operating system but i lost my disk not that it matters because my new processor is a 64bit. so i got a new windows xp pro 64bit disk and turned on my pc and then i change the bios settings to boot from cd/dvd rom and i could hear the disk spinning but then it went on to the same windows screen again it keeps doing this. when ever i select start windws normally, start windows in safe mode etc etc it just reboots the pc and i start all over again.

i would reall appreciate any help because i am actually going mental.

thanks in advance jack

RobCharles1981 00:40 25 Sep 2009

"i change the bios settings to boot from cd/dvd rom and i could hear the disk spinning but then it went on to the same windows screen again it keeps doing this"

When you went into the Bios and selected the CD Drive As First Boot Divice did you save the Bios Settings (F8)?

Then When you obviously reboot you should seen on the screen "Press Any Key To Boot From CD"

Hoping to press Space or what ever it should take you into the setup process.

Have a read here:

click here

jack.m101 11:31 25 Sep 2009

thanks for you help mate but when it comes up with boot from cd/dvd: i press space of any other key then it just goes straight into the recovery mode thing again. does my dvd drive have to be master or slave? and yes i saved the settings in my bios.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:21 25 Sep 2009

Seems to be a common problem, some BIOS do not seem to reset boot devices.

Reset Bios to default settings save and exit (F10)
back into BIOS and reset boot order to CD first save and exit

then retry booting from CD

jack.m101 12:39 25 Sep 2009

i dont have an option to put it back to defalt. i only have fail safe and optimised.

i tried the disks i burnt on a different pc and they booted up fine it is just that motherboard or the processor i dont know whats doing it!! argh!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:41 25 Sep 2009

Set to fail safe

jack.m101 12:47 25 Sep 2009

ok i tried that and it diddnt work. i also set it to fail safe and selected cd to boot form first but it still diddnt work. i think it might be my dvd drive its self because it spinns but it hardly get any speed. should i try a different dvd drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?