Issue when login to Windows live messenger!

gazmix 15:16 22 Sep 2009

Hi
I've just had my pc formatted & XP installed & now when i login to Windows Live Messenger, i get this:-

Virus or unwanted program 'HTML/Infected.WebPage.Gen [virus]'
detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\1LLJHNB3\ADSAdClient31[2].htm.
Action performed: Move file to quarantine

or something similar like this-

Virus or unwanted program 'HTML/Crypted.Gen [virus]'
detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\p3v895v7.default\Cache\F1E57B8Bd01.
Action performed: Move file to quarantine

What could it be & what can i do?

Thanks

gazmix 16:28 22 Sep 2009

I think its something to do with Microsoft as i googled it, & it doesn't let me see the 'bing.com' news page that pops up alongside WLM.
Anyone?

gazmix 20:05 22 Sep 2009

Ok, so before i got your reply marg7, i decided to do a system restore as the issue only started today!

It restored back & created more issues in that my Firewall wouldn't install on reboot & i got the 'firewall.exe' had frozen etc & do i want to send error to microsoft etc!

I said no, & my pc continued to make a noise, like when its trying to do somthing, light flickering etc!!
Something was stopping it installing, & after the restore, my Avir AV wouldn't open either,it was in 'add/remove'progs, but wouldn't work when i clicked on it!

I did a search & removed all Firewall files, did the CCleaner thing which found 500MB of stuff & my AV seems now ok & Firewall is back.

Can freeing up stuff & deleting all in Search>Files & Folders, dramatically make a difference when things don't work?.
Although still get the issue in Windows Live.

julius44 20:52 22 Sep 2009

Hello gaxmix, i had a similar problems with messenger a few months ago for about 3 monts last year i was unable to log into windows live messenger, and it was so frustrating(i dont think your problems is as extreme as mine,) I tried loadz of suggestions from the PCA forum, and i even emailed microsoft, they tried to help, but to no avail, then one day i noticed that there was a copy of Registry Mechanic that came with an issue of pc advisor magazine,.....(theres also a copy with this months, i think)..i isntalled the cd, and it did something to the registry, and all of a sudden my windows live messenger was fine.........if u can find a copy just try it cos u have nothing to lose.

gazmix 21:03 22 Sep 2009

I will try your advice now & re-login to Windows to see if the virus prompt is only when the 'Windows Live Today' window opens.
Marg, also, in options > sounds, the default test ones don't work & i don't get pop ups telling me people are signed in or email notifications. I'm wondering if my WLM is bust!! The issue i had in my past thread about firewall/antivir, all started when i tried to uninstall WLM. Am not sure if there related, but when i got my pc back after formatting & XP install, i noticed that WLM interfered with my Firewall a lot & i couldn't get online, i don't know what i did to remedy it.

julius, i've just had my pc formatted & XP reinstalled because of an issue that fried my registry. The guy in the shop told me not to ever go near the Reg as anything can mess it up & then its caput!
Your suggestion may work, but i'm once bitten twice shy! Even though i have ERUNT backup.

gazmix 21:30 22 Sep 2009

Marg that worked, when the 'bing' live today isn't there, no virus alert!!

However, lots of sounds have gone & i get no detections when people sign in or new mail etc! I wonder if its corrupted!

In add/remove programmes, i could click on chang/remove & it would ask me if i wanted to repair or uninstall, this don't happen now!!

I wonder if its possible to install the same version over this one?, as a repair! ?

gazmix 21:46 22 Sep 2009

I heard via google that the ADSAdClient things is if you sign into WLM via hotmail in firefox, but i don't do that!
I wonder if it knows that my default browser is set to FF, a microsoft thing!

Yeh, sound is ok, most of the default sounds work except a few & the alerts issue!

I will attempt that System restore to now & then reinstalling. Although system restore didn't work earlier when my Firewall was playing up & causing a send report!

gazmix 22:08 22 Sep 2009

Yeh, i know, i created the restore, but it wouldn't let me install over the top as it said i already had the prog installed!!

It seems the option to 'repair' Windows Live Messenger' has gone from clicking add/remove prrogrammes & them WLM. It offered me the option to uninstall or repair earlier, now neither!

Seems some of the default sounds have gone as i say!

gazmix 10:50 23 Sep 2009

Hi, no i understood about the restore :).

I'm not sure whats happened! before, when i was able to double click on 'Windows Live Essentials' in add/remove, the programme was 79 MB & then allowed me to either repair or uninstall.
I uninstalled & then rebooted but on reboot, my firewall wouldn't load saying there was a problem (send report or don't send blah blah) & my Avira Antivir was just a empty shell on my desktop & couldn't be found!, saying it didn't exist!

When i try to restore back now to any of my restore points going back to the 18th, i get the same firewall & AV issue!.
I guess i shouldn't touch System restore for a while & hope each system check backs up to how it is now!

So will running the Windows Installer cleanup programme get rid of corrupt/leftovers & let me reinstall WLM?, howabout Revo Uninstaller?

gazmix 11:25 23 Sep 2009

Marg
I now get the same virus alert when 'sign into windows live today' is disabled! & a security alert saying that i'm about to view secure pages etc, do i want to continue with option to hide the box! The same as you get when viewing pages in IE.

gazmix 11:45 23 Sep 2009

With the cleanup utility, do i use it 1st then use add/remove?, or will this erase the prog from add/remove so i can install again?
There are many entries,
1. Windows live messenger
2. Windows live call
3. Windows live communication platform
4. Windows live sign in assistant
5. windows live upload tool.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?