Issue with cameras attached via USB hub

oliverr1952 10:44 03 Jan 2008

I recently purchased a Sony laptop (running Vista) and have connected successfully to internat via a NetGear N-Generation router. I wanted to connect a printer, external hard drive, camcorder and stills camera to the router and so bought a Belkin USB hub. After a couple of slight adjustments to my firewall software (Norton360), the laptop recognises both the hub and the devices. I am able to download from the cameras, print to the printer and read and write from the external hard drive. So, where is the problem?...

I run the Sony software Picture Motion Browser. When I connect the cameras directly to the laptop (via USB) the software is clever enough to know which files from the camera have already been downloaded and therefore doesn’t download them again. When connected via the hub the software downloads all the images on the camera each time the device is switched on. It then returns an error message as follows:

“Because media management information can not be written, the same media files will be imported next time, even if you select the “Do not import duplicates” option.”

Does anyone know how I can get the “media management information” to write?

Technotiger 13:13 03 Jan 2008

Just 'thinking aloud' - is the USB Hub a Powered hub, or does it simply get its power from the laptop - if the latter, perhaps with all the other peripherals attached to it, the camera is not getting enough power to work the same as it does, when connected directly to the laptop!

I hope that makes sense !!

If this is not the case, then I am afraid I don't know what else to suggest, other than having the camera connected only on its own, without any other peripherals attached at the same time.

oliverr1952 14:58 03 Jan 2008

The hub does have its own power supply so I don't think that is the issue. Thanks for the suggestion though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?