ISP wont disconnect

mickmoran61 00:26 12 May 2004

Please help!
I have two ISPs on my computer. I have no problems connecting to the Internet. However, despite the fact that I have both connections set to disconnect if my Internet activity is idle for 20 minutes, I find that my internet connection can be "alive" for more than 1 and a half hours before I notice that I forgot to disconnect. I have rechecked these settings and they still say that the computer will disconnect if connected for >20 minutes.
What might the problem be?

Mick

GaT7 01:18 12 May 2004

If not already done, try also setting it to disconnect in Control Panel\Modems\Properties\Connection.

BTW, what OS are you using?

As a temporary workaround you could use this free program to disconnect for you at appointed times/periods - Slawdog Smart Shutdown - click here.

In the meantime someone else may come to the rescue & if I find something will return to post it here. Good luck, G

mickmoran61 01:31 12 May 2004

Crossbow 7
I'm using Windows XP (service pack 1). Is this significant?
I tried your solution but couldn't find "Conections" in the options provided.

I haven't tried your suggested link.

GaT7 16:03 12 May 2004

mickmoran61 - sorry about that. Maybe found on a different tab & not under 'Connection'.

Does anyone (using WinXP) know how to change this 'disconnect a call if idle...' setting in Control Panel\Modems? Or, offer a more specific fix?

"I'm using Windows XP (service pack 1). Is this significant?" - Yes. Always helps the person responding to give you more specific & accurate advice, so make sure to include it whenever you post a query : ) Also, a little about your PC's spec is always welcome, but not necessary this time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?