ISP Cutoff

Cobber 17:55 23 Sep 2004

Using XP Prof (SP2) to try and update my Nero suite - no broadband.
TescoNet continually cut me off after an hour or so, meaning I have to try and start again, even though they must be aware I am downloading. Are there any utilities that will allow me to resume where I left off?
Thanx

spuds 18:13 23 Sep 2004

You may find that your ISP as a time limit or no activity cut-off. Best to check your terms and conditions, especially if it is PAYG. If they have this, then you may well find any long downloads will not succeed, unless they have a resume in the downloading. There are programmes available, but I have never known anyone who as used one. Your could try click here who seem to have a good range of freeware/shareware programmes available. Even PCA may have a programme in the download section.

spuds 18:16 23 Sep 2004

Link seems faulty, try click here

Green 1 01:38 24 Sep 2004

You could get a copy of GET RIGHT it lets you carry on the download where you were cut off and no loss of data, I use it for long d/loads and find it v/good, a small fee is charged for it but well worth it imho. Hope this helps. click here

Green 1 01:38 24 Sep 2004

You could get a copy of GET RIGHT it lets you carry on the download where you were cut off and no loss of data, I use it for long d/loads and find it v/good, a small fee is charged for it but well worth it imho. Hope this helps. click here

hugh-265156 02:47 24 Sep 2004

as above most download managers will let you resume a download from where you left off if the connection is dropped. when i had dial up i used star downloader click here (free and no adware)

ps. this months PCA mag has sp2 on cdrom.

hugh-265156 02:49 24 Sep 2004

very sorry, it would help if i could read lol. try using star downloader to download your nero updates. when you get cut off it will pick up from where you left off.

sorry again.

Cobber 16:50 24 Sep 2004

Thanks for your responses.
I tried again late at night and managed to download via US of A when the yanks were asleep and TescoNet was presumably not under pressure.
When I downloaded SP2 Beta a couple of months ago MS had a system that allowed you to resume when cut off but this seems not to be evident in the non-beta SP2.
Thanks Huggy71 will try recommended site.
Again many thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?