ISP connection with 2 users on pc

23790954 17:50 06 Mar 2008

Hi! there,

My son and daughter in law use the same desktop computer. As they wish to keep their 'e' mails separate, they log onto the computer in different usernames. When my son logs on using his username, the phillips wireless router connected to the computer is fully functional, and he can get on the internet. However when my daughter in law uses her username, the router does not function correctly at all, and she cannot get on the internet. I have tried numerous things to correct this, including trying to reinstall the software for the router, but when I try to reinstall the software, a message saying that the software cannot be installed appears. As I am NOT an expert on wireless routers, any advice or tips would be appreciated. Many thanks to all who try to help.

mazuk 18:12 06 Mar 2008

Maybe that when installing intially you have set this router to use current user, not given the option to allow connection throughtout all users...that would sound the most logical solution

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:13 06 Mar 2008

Op system?

"when I try to reinstall the software, a message saying that the software cannot be installed appears."

Is she logged in as a limited account rather than an administrator?

23790954 18:20 06 Mar 2008

Thanks for your help. The system operates on windows XP. I am sure that the router, which was installed by a friend of my sons, was installed when they both used the desktop computer as a single system, e.g. administrator, but due to the 'e' mail getting mixed up they wanted to have a log-on username, etc., each. That is where the trouble would have started, I'm sure. Can someone please explain to me how to rectify this problem, so that the router works for both. Many thanks again.

Daveboy 19:22 06 Mar 2008

Only one username & password will get you onto the internet, the default one. Any subsequent e-mail accounts will have their own login to access their web mail but this is not to be used in the router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?