Isopropyl Alcohol - Where do you get yours???

Jester2K II 11:23 08 Jul 2003

Searching for Isopropyl Alcohol to clean a blocked Epson Stylus Colour 660 but can't find out where to get it from!! Tried 2 local chemists and neither stock it.

Can anyone tell me where i might get it from? Or a safe alternative?

Also any tips on cleaning this printer? Cartridges are over 50 % full but just won't print. Multi head clean to no avail...

Andsome 11:37 08 Jul 2003

Almost any decent Hi-Fi shop

-pops- 11:39 08 Jul 2003

Maplin Item # RE71N

VoG II 11:40 08 Jul 2003

You could try the alternative (more modern) names "2-propanol" or "isopropanol" when asking at a pharmacists. Remember, they're not real chemists!

-pops- 11:41 08 Jul 2003

<;-))))

Brian

rubella 11:50 08 Jul 2003

i've always managed to get IPA in Boots. 250ml size bottles.

IZZY 12:06 08 Jul 2003

Jester2K II, Hi..

I believe you can get cleaning cartridges for cleaning the print heads. Never used or seen them but I assume they are identical to the ink cartridge. This is one site which advertises them but I think you'd have to do a search on it as these don't appear too obvious.

click here

Regards,

IZZY

Megatyte 12:13 08 Jul 2003

I get isopropanol a gallon at a time(I use it for cleaning PCBs') from a local paint mixing company.

AH

MadNige 12:14 08 Jul 2003

My little local chemist didn't stock it either, but they did order it in for me - took about a week to arrive.

Surgical spirits, which they will stock, is a methanol-ethanol mix with less nasty stuff added than household meths. You could use this short-term to start the softening process, and flush through later.

Jester2K II 12:20 08 Jul 2003

Thank you all - didn't think about other names for it!

I'll try the chemisits again or pop to Boots.

Cheers all

BTW Thanks for the cleaning cartridges advise IZZY but i might to another 3 or 4 different Printers that have been left standing for over a year so the IP will work out cheaper.

Diver14 12:43 08 Jul 2003

I've got the same problem with a stylus 640.

How are you going to clean the heads? - by filling an old cartridge with the Isopropyl Alcohol and then doing lots of head cleaning cycles or a different method.

I'd be interested to hear your thought as I might give it a go myself - cheaper than a new printer!!

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?