Iso linux make bootable

Jwbjnwolf 22:25 27 Oct 2010

one my xp netbook I have trial of winzip and I have an iso image of ubuntu linux, which I can open in winzip and it has lots of files and folders which I am guessing I have to extract them and burn on to a disk so I can boot from it because iso image on the disk untouched aint bootable
Am i right that i gotta do this?

justme 22:41 27 Oct 2010

You use the iso image to burn a bootable cd. Just copying the files to a cd will not work.

Most cd burners can do this but if yours can't then a quick search on google will give you a choice of burners (free and otherwise) which you can download to do the job.

LastChip 23:16 27 Oct 2010

click here for information on exactly how to do it. I wrote it a while back, but it's still relevant.

octal 05:57 28 Oct 2010

If your Netbook hasn't got a disk drive then you will have to burn it to a USB flash drive. Also if you are using a Netbook then use the Ubuntu Remix as this is designed for the Netbook and its smaller screen size.

I have this on my little Netbook and I love it.

click here

Jwbjnwolf 14:14 28 Oct 2010

I have a samsung dvd rewriteable which I have used to burn stuff to disk lots of times but when I try to boot from the cd I have created like pc pro says it says no operating system found

octal 21:23 28 Oct 2010

Have you made sure that the CD/DVD drive is the first to boot in the BIOS?

This is what the file system should look like if you have burnt the ISO correctly to a CD click here

octal 21:25 28 Oct 2010

By the way, if it's a usb drive then you will have to make sure the USB is the first to boot in the BIOS.

Jwbjnwolf 21:36 28 Oct 2010

what i do is press f12 before booting into windows which give you a choice of which to boot from so i select the dvd drive
i have booted from cd before

octal 21:37 28 Oct 2010

Is the DVD drive an external one?

Jwbjnwolf 23:12 28 Oct 2010

yes

octal 05:50 29 Oct 2010

Then it probably plugs into the USB port, go into the BIOS and make sure the USB is the first one in the boot order.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?