ISDN 128kbs or 12.4kbs?

buzzerxx 23:48 28 Jan 2003

Hello, I have a question about transfer speeds over the Internet . I have an ISDN connection that displays 128 kbs in the taskbar but in the program kazaa ,the top speed is displayed as between 12.2kbs and 15.1kbs. Could you please tell me why this is so, thanks in advance.

jazzypop 23:55 28 Jan 2003

I presume that one is displaying units in kilobytes (KB), the other in kilobits (Kb).

1 kilobyte = 8 kilobits.

PSF 00:01 29 Jan 2003

click here to check your speed.

buzzerxx 00:19 29 Jan 2003

Thanks people that was very helpful, and clears things up for me in that department. The speed tester results was 119.4 kilobits per sec. which seems OK. Thanks again.

DieSse 00:29 29 Jan 2003

Just as a further explanation

128Kbps (Kilobits/s) is the fixed speed at which data bits flow on your ISDN link.

All measured speeds (whether in Kilobits/s or KiloBytes/s) are an effective data transfer rate, taking into account the facts that - some of the time no data is being sent, because your system is tranmitting acknowledgements back to the host - data is not actually always flowing, due to busyness in the various parts of the web - some of the data being sent is not actual data, but control characters and formatting of the data stream - and some of the bits are not data at all, but check bits for error control.

So the effective transfer rate is always a goodly bit down on the raw bit transmission rate - and variable.

buzzerxx 00:48 29 Jan 2003

That's very interesting, thanks for your help, though I will be getting broadband as soon as it becomes available, this ISDN is way too expensive, approximately EUR 150 a month.

mcullum_DX4Life 00:55 29 Jan 2003

owch!!! i pay just £35 euros for 1mb

mcullum_DX4Life 00:56 29 Jan 2003

sorry £35 lol which i think is around 50 euros

buzzerxx 01:04 29 Jan 2003

I know, it's a rip off, but there is only a select few in Ireland with broadband. You must need a lot of storage for that kind of speed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?