Irritating virus!

scott0004 16:25 11 Apr 2010

Hi all,

Ive tried looking through to see if I can find and topics relating to my problem, but that is the problem, i dont know the problem! So I apologise if this has been posted a million times before!.

I seem to have some kind of virus on my home pc which runs using windows xp.

All of a sudden a window appeared on the screen which had a very similar appearance to a page on the control panel where you can turn your firewall and so on off.

It said it was running a virus scan and to clear all these virus's it had found click here, which predictably took you to a payment page.

I've tried running AVG anf a free anti virus software that came with our virgin package but both have come up with no virus' found.

The computer is now unoperational due to this page taking over and not letting you open any others.

Could anything please please help? I'm desperate to get my computer back to life!

Many Thanks in advance.

Scott

Technotiger 16:27 11 Apr 2010

Try re-starting in safe mode, then a System Restore back to before this problem appeared.

birdface 16:42 11 Apr 2010

Download update and run this and remove anything that it finds.

click here

birdface 16:46 11 Apr 2010

Maybe remove one of your Anti-virus programs they will only conflict with each other.

lotvic 17:04 11 Apr 2010

Does this image shot look familiar?
rogue security program click here
Removal Instructions are on my link from 'bleepingcomputer.com' (a well trusted site and used by many on here)
"It only shows these fake infection files in order to trick you into thinking you are infected in the hope that you will then purchase their program"

Diemmess 17:37 11 Apr 2010

Another virus is Antivirus XP 2010

A few weeks ago this was giving lots of people a problem, simply because it looked as though it was advertising a sound product.
This link click here
shows it can be difficult to remove.
Not impossible, but look at the way the story unfolds.

HXP 17:43 11 Apr 2010

You could try running this which I found quite helpful recently - even though I also run Norton

click here

There is also sofware called hi jack this which creates a system report that many ( no me I am afraid ) can read if you post it and that may help identify the problem

phil.s 14:23 06 May 2010

I got infected last week with this and Norton did remove a couple of trojans. I also ran SpyBot and Adaware but my browser was still being redirected. Last night I bit the bullet and ran Hitman Pro 3.5 which found trojans in four different places, all hidden in a file "SIQSRX.DLL". Hitman said they had been removed but it looks like it just flushed them out from hiding as Norton then detected and quarantined it as Trojan.Gen.

The redirection has now stopped BUT there is a red error at startup, in four directories:-

"SIQSRX.DLL is not a valid windows image. Please check against your installation diskette."

I am somewhat reluctant to reboot the PC again as it is now working OK!

Anyone know what this file does and if it can be deleted??

Thanks

provider 2 16:40 06 May 2010

This will have to be removed piece by piece with the guidance of a malware removal expert.

I don`t think simply scanning with any of the usual programs will remove it permanently.

Go back to lotvic`s link to BleepingComputers and take it from there, I think.

phil.s 20:38 06 May 2010

No doubt you are right Provider 2. Norton just found two more trojans (trojan.gen) lurking in the system volume information folder and Hitman Pro then found two more hidden in the same SIQSRX.DLL files as yesterdays.

Do I need to switch off system restore and can anyone verify the validity of Hitman Pro?

lotvic 22:10 06 May 2010

For future Ref-
It would have been better to have started your own thread.... instead of tagging onto scott0004's

that way you would get more responses and would get an email notification when there was a reply posted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017