Irritating Messenger update Popups

owls 16:38 03 Apr 2004

Following the advice in this months PCA i ordered the WindowsXP update CDROM from MS. The MS site would not accept the order until I regisered for .NET Passport. Now whenever I click Send/Receive in Outlook Express I get a popup asking me to update Windows Messenger - the last thing I want to do since i have followed the various recipes to diable the wretched thing.
Any ideas on how to stop the pop up?

Diodorus Siculus 16:43 03 Apr 2004

There is, I believe, an option in OE to tell windows messenger not to log you on automatically when OE starts.

VoG II 16:49 03 Apr 2004

Start, Run, type in

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

and click OK. This will remove Windows Messenger.

Steven135 17:22 03 Apr 2004

VoG, How do you know all this stuff???

fsbb 18:04 03 Apr 2004

Start > Run and type msconfig then hit enter.

Go to Startup tab and uncheck Messenger (msmsgs).

Reboot and messenger will not start. If you get a message concerning selective or normal startup ignore it.

Also uncheck the box in OE as suggested by Diodorus Siculus above.

As a safety measure you could block it with your firewall - you do have a firewall!!!!

owls 23:09 05 Apr 2004

Thanks for your help guys; I haven’t tried your fixes yet, however:
1) The fixes seem to be aimed at killing Messenger (good idea!), but I had already disabled Messenger (Cntl Panl => Admin Tools => Comp Servs => Servs(Local) => scroll & change Messenger to ‘disabled’). Consequently Messenger is grayed out in OE Tools – of course it is still running in the background.
2) The problem is that, before ms would let me order their free XP CD-ROM update, the ms site insisted the I register for their ‘.NET Passport’. Clearly in the registration process ms inserted a Trojan which called for the Popup from inside my XP firewall, which then of course could not block the Popup – a nasty trick.
3) One solution is, after Start Up: Cntl Alt Del => select Messenger => End Task, but you have to do it every time you start Windows.
4) I found that a permanent solution is to revert to the Restore Point I had fortunately created before registering – this worked fine.
5) There is a discussion of the Messenger ‘Trojan Update’ problem at click here.

VoG II 23:11 05 Apr 2004

The Register :o)

Indigo 1 08:14 06 Apr 2004

Added to my postings for reference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?