irritating message !!

SLF1 11:17 13 Mar 2012

I keep getting this message popping up.

windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

Have searched the internet to no avail, is there anyone who can help me solve this puzzle or advise what I can do please.

Many thanks Fox

Woolwell 11:42 13 Mar 2012

In which program does this message pop up? What where you doing at the time and what is your OS?

SLF1 11:49 13 Mar 2012

Thank you Woolwell.

I am using the laptop as usual, internet usually, rarely use notepad and sometimes word. It's been happening for some time with what ever I am using/doing. I also run defender to check for boggies which it says there aren't any there.

Sorry to seem vague OS?? could you elaborate please.

Really appreciate your help.

Woolwell 11:59 13 Mar 2012

What anti-virus are you running? Are you on XP, Vista or W7? This may occur when you start a program like the browser or word or notepad. See MS Support

SLF1 12:08 13 Mar 2012

not sure what anti virus..on vista.

looking at the link now, will take 5 and try options. Will let you know how I get on. Thank you so much for your help, really appreciate it.

FYI - the message popped up when I posted message on a forum. is that any use to diagnose??

SLF1 12:14 13 Mar 2012

ok, so used option one, properties on C/:users me and updated permissions as it seems I didn't have them set for user me. I think that should solve the problem fingers X'd!!

How ever, should it pop up again I will be back lol

Woolwell thank you for your help, for something that seems so simple I would not of known if you hadn't of helped, much appreciated.

Warmest wishes, Fox

Woolwell 12:18 13 Mar 2012

You must have an anti-virus program. Vista doesn't have one and Defender is anti-malware and not brilliant.

SLF1 12:36 13 Mar 2012

checked window security centre:

Windows Firewall - on; Malware protection - on; other security settings - on

that's probably why I'm not able to freeling download then..my gosh the plot thickens!! lol

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:31 13 Mar 2012

My Computer--->right click on C drive--->properties--->security tab click on that

In security tab there is Groups& Users ---> administrator ----> Permissions ....Give full access to administrator

SLF1 09:16 14 Mar 2012

completed above said task and so far so good! Thank you Woolwell, much appreciated. Fox

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?