Irritating Internet Explorer Interference

coinneach 19:40 11 Jul 2008

For several years I've happily used Firefox and Thunderbird as my default browsers. I have no accounts in Outlook Express and it is permanently set offline. Windows Firewall is disabled as I use the Zone Alarm Firewall.
I've set Internet Explorer offline to discourage any activity. From time to time I find that I have to reset this because IE has an irritating habit of overriding it. It then complains about the Firewall not being enabled.
Is there any reliable way of getting over this problem, allowing me to indulge my preferences without interference?

Ken Robinson

grey george 20:20 11 Jul 2008

Are you saying IE is asking for access even when you haven't started the programme?

coinneach 21:10 11 Jul 2008

What I'm saying is that if I occasionally bring up IE to check that it is still offline, I find that it has changed to online again without my say-so.

coinneach

grey george 21:45 11 Jul 2008

When my IE gets set to offline because of a connection issue it stays that way unless I untick the offline option. If you don't use it why not uninstall it?

coinneach 21:54 11 Jul 2008

Maybe you're right, GG. I'd thought of that, but didn't want to open another can of worms!
Anyhow, many thanks for that.

coinneach

ambra4 22:19 11 Jul 2008

You cannot uninstall IE it part of windows XP and windows will not allow you to uninstall

The best way is to use the “Set Program Access & Default settings” in the Start folder

Click start – Click Set Program Access And Default – Custom – Select Use my Current Web

Browser and remove the tick Enable access to this program next to IE

coinneach 18:42 12 Jul 2008

Spot on, Ambra4! I had never explored thess sttings before but they we just what I needed. Very grateful to you.

coinneach

coinneach 18:54 12 Jul 2008

Sorry, Ambra4! The above sentence (written in haste) should have read "I had never explored these settings before, but they were just what was needed". I wasn't expecting anything so accommodating from Microsoft! Grateful thanks to you for pointing me in the right direction.

coinneach

ambra4 18:57 12 Jul 2008

Glad to be of help

Enjoy

ambra4 19:04 12 Jul 2008

Tick the box and click solved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone