IRQ 9 sharing 7 devices ?

carlos 13:55 12 May 2003

Be grateful for advice : got WIn 2000P on 1yr old Dell PC. Complaint about infrequent crashing and being slow. Doing the usual checks( eg defrag) and noted that, despite no conflicts flagging up in device manager, IRQ 9 is shared by: MS ACPI Compliant system
32Mb ATI Rage 128
Adaptec PCI SCSI Controller(
for our film scanner)

3com Integ fast ethernet
Intel USB UNiv Host Cont 2442
" " " " " 2444
Soundmax integrated digital audio
Doesn't look right to a novice PCman like me but do not understand why. Could this be cause of poor performance? Thanks.

Brian-336451 20:37 12 May 2003

Mine shows over 5 devices on the same IRQ - apparently normal for modern machines. Don't think that's your problem.

I usually manually set the Pagefile so it is contiguous. Check that the Cache is enabled in your BIOS.

Are you running Norton? Recently I uninstalled Norton Internet Security/Norton Systemworks and was amazed by the speed at which everything worked. For obvious reasons they are re-installed again.

Look at your system tray and see how many applications are running (Control-Alt-Delete) can be scary when you look at how much is running in the background - this is all an overhead to the OS.

Check this site outclick here

Hope some of that helps

Brian-336451 20:37 12 May 2003

Mine shows over 5 devices on the same IRQ - apparently normal for modern machines. Don't think that's your problem.

I usually manually set the Pagefile so it is contiguous. Check that the Cache is enabled in your BIOS.

Are you running Norton? Recently I uninstalled Norton Internet Security/Norton Systemworks and was amazed by the speed at which everything worked. For obvious reasons they are re-installed again.

Look at your system tray and see how many applications are running (Control-Alt-Delete) can be scary when you look at how much is running in the background - this is all an overhead to the OS.

Check this site out click here

Hope some of that helps

Brian-336451 20:38 12 May 2003

Sorry - thought it hadn't gone.

carlos 08:52 13 May 2003

Advice appreciated. Have now downloaded Msconfig for Win 2000 so I can see which apps to turn off at start-up. Checked ones running in B'ground( quite a few). What with defrag etc machine now stable( finers crossed) AND fast. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?