IRIDIUM LAPTOP CHEATS - CPU SPEED

subject 19:15 24 Mar 2006

Hi guys, another newbie to this forum, hope you guys can help.
Right, Ive been making tracks for 4 years now, and eneded up purchasing a 3.6ghz pentium 4 laptop.Its never performed amazingly, and now im running pro tools with an mbox and its getting ridiculous. The CPU gets eaten straiught away, i have no other tasks running, ive done all the obvious tweaks and the music xp tweaks. Im hardly running any vsts, mostly audio, but either way i have to have my mboz buffer on maximum always. Paid so much money im getting *!@:ed off.
So, i ran CPU hot check, and it appears the name of mine is a 3.6ghz, but the actual speed is only 1996mhz!

So then i speak to an expert, he shows me how to check my MAX clock speed...
AND ITS ONLY 1599MHZ!My max CPU is 1599! I PAID FOR A 3.06GHZ! It says its a 3.06GHZ but it will only ever go 1.6! All this time.
Also was meant to have hyper threading - but i couldnt find the bios setting for it (even tho it mentions it in the manual). I rang the suppoirt people and they assured me i do have hyper threading,but i cant turn it off!?
THE TEST SHOWS I DONT!!!!!!

thanks for your tme guys,
Subject
click here

Hot CPU Tester Pro(Lite Edition) 4.2.2
Copyright © 1999-2003 7Byte Computers
Thursday, March 23, 2006 - 22:47:33
Diagnostic Report
---------------------------------------------
Test Started at: 16:17:35
Test Duration: 06:00:01
Physical Processors Available: 1
Logical Processors Available: 1
Multi-Processors System(SMP): Not Available
Hyper-Threading Technology: Not Available
CPU Name String: Genuine Intel(R) CPU 3.06GHz
Speed: 1599MHz
Logical Processors Tested: CPU 0
Average CPU(s) Performance: 100.0%

Modules Results:
Complex Matrix: Finished without error
Calculating Pi: Finished without error
Sorting Algorithms: Finished without error
Prime Test: Finished without error
Fast Fourier Transforms:
Chipset:
L1 Cache:
L2 Cache:
Memory: Finished without error
HD: Finished without error
MMX: Finished without error

ACOLYTE 19:25 24 Mar 2006

Are you sure the FSB is set correctly in the bios?

gudgulf 19:27 24 Mar 2006

Try a second opinion from CPU-Z click here

That will provide more information about the cpu/fsb speed etc..post back with the results.

De Marcus™ 19:30 24 Mar 2006

Download and run belarc advisor from click here which will tell you exactly whats installed in your machine and clear up any confusion.

De Marcus™ 19:32 24 Mar 2006

And don't forget to factor in speedstep type technology when viewing any results from any programme.

gudgulf 19:47 24 Mar 2006

Are you running the laptop off battery power or mains?

If you are using batteries plug it into the mains and retest.

The mobile P4 processors default to 1.6GHz or less when running on battery power.

As far as I am aware all the P4 based laptops other than those with Pentium-M cpus are designed as desktop replacements and as such are meant to be mains powered.

ed-0 20:44 24 Mar 2006

gudgulf cpu-z. To get the exact model number of the cpu.

Mobile P4's usually drop the multiplier to save power consumption. It is probably a 133Mhz quad pumped cpu or 533Mhz. Running at 3.06 would use a multiplier of 23.

If it is running at 1599Mhz then the multiplier is ticking over at 12, just over half power.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?