irfanview

cyberbreed 19:43 03 Sep 2004

I use irfanview for resizing pictures etc. Can you use this program to compress? I know for instance in photoshop you can compress the picture with out losing much quality so it downloads quicker on the a website. A mate did it for me. Irfanview does not seem to do this. At least I can't find it if it does.

There is so much software out there its confusing. Each time I get a new bit of kit, loads of programs come with it. I like to use just the viewer for resizing etc and store the pictures in a normal folder.

Whats the best approach and simplest without all the different software choices?

iambeavis 19:48 03 Sep 2004

You can use irfanview to send images in email.

iambeavis 19:51 03 Sep 2004

missed a bit, if they'll compress sufficiently for e-mail then they'll compress sufficiently for storage.

Gongoozler 19:58 03 Sep 2004

Hi cyberbreed. Almost all compression loses some quality (there are some lossless techniques, but the compression ratio is generally somewhat limited). The art of good compression is to target the algorithm at the intended use of the compressed file. For example, if a picture is to be displayed on a monitor with a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels, then there isn't much point in using a picture with much more resolution than that.

Irfanview lets you resample a picture to a lower (or higher) number of pixels, and when you save the picture as a jpg file it lets you choose a high compression-low quality or low compression-high quality picture.

Simon_P 20:05 03 Sep 2004

If you are saving Jpeg files you will loose quality every time you save the file no matter what software you use.

irfanview is in my opinion the best free one that there is.

Compressing Jpeg files is easy
From your open file
File menu/save as, on the right you have a compression slider best to worst quality
Select the level of compression rename file or select a new location and click save.

Do a couple of experimental files to see how much compression you want to use (the default compression is a good balance between size/quality

IMPORTANT
Backup your files and work on the copies, if you have a disaster you still have the originals.

If using other file formats please post back and say what they are.

cyberbreed 13:57 04 Sep 2004

Thanks for the input!

I slap myself in the head for not seeing the compression slider - which I see everytime I resize! All my problems are solved with irfanview - indeed a lovely prog.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?