IR connection and internet access

Distant Blue 21:39 19 Feb 2003

Apologies in advance for this question, not very computer literate I'm afraid!
I need to obtain internet access through my mobile. I have a Packard Bell laptop with Windows XP and internal modem, which I want to connect to my Nokia 6310i. I have bought a infra-red adaptor which fits into one of the ports, mobile has IR of course.
I can get the phone to "talk to" the laptop when I switch on the IR, but when I dial up the message "no dialing tone detected" appears, and I cannot make a connection.
I was assured that the adaptor would do the job, but I assume that as no dialing tone is present on mobiles this is the problem.
Have I been mis-advised, or am I missing something obvious? Or is this more of a mobile query?
Apologies for my lack of knowledge, can anybody help?
Thanks.

SDJ 21:48 19 Feb 2003

I do this with my Motorola T280i phone and Dell laptop, just to get emails as its dog slow of course.

You need to install your phone as a modem and configure your dialup properties to point to the phone.
You may have ahd a cdrom with the phone with drivers or XP may already have them in the system.
But basically install your phone as a modem and you should be fine.

rct 21:49 19 Feb 2003

The computer will have a "modem" installed for the phone. Go into its properties and untick the "Wait for Dialtone" box. Hope it works out for you. Failing that try reinstalling the phone modem software after downloading the latest version from click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?