IPv6 problem

Rent 15:21 09 Jan 2010

I have a home network consisting of my main PC connected directly (wired)to a Belkin N router with a broadband modem. My laptop connects wirelessly. I can connect to the internet from both computers. When I had Win XP on the main pc and Vista on the laptop I could access my main pc from the laptop and visa versa. Since I installed Win 7 on both computers I have not been able to access any folders on my main pc. I can see my main pc under Network in My Computer on the laptop but when I try to access it I get the message "Your Network Connection must have IPv6 enabled to create or join a Homegroup".
I have checked, and IPv6 is enabled in my network connections. On Microsoft site my router apparently is compatible with Win 7. Is there an issue running 32bit OS on the laptop and 64bit OS on my main pc. Even though Microsoft say the router is compatible Belkin advise me that the router does not support IPv6 so do I just need to buy a new router. If so who make IPv6 compatible routers.
Would be grateful for any help.

mgmcc 21:22 09 Jan 2010

TCP/IP version 6 is not yet in general use so any router you use will be connecting both to the Internet and to computers in your Local Area Network using TCP/IPv4.

In order to share printers/folders between computers they *DON'T* need to be in a Homegroup. You can continue to set up network "shares" and access them in essentially the same way as previously with XP or Vista.

Rent 22:04 10 Jan 2010

Still having problems accessing each computer from the other. Is there a problem having the main pc connected by ethernet cable and the laptop connected wirelessly. Both computers have win 7 installed. I have set up trusted IP's on Norton IS 2010 on each computer but this hasn't helped.
Each computer shows on the network map of the other computer but the laptop has a broken line link rather than solid line on each map. I'm not an expert on Networking so any help would be appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone