iPod Touch won't switch on

Roy* 20:52 25 Oct 2010

My son's iPod Touch 8GB bought new from Amazon April this year no longer switches on.

Tried following the steps on iPod website but when you connect it to PC it doesn't find any device.

Is it worth taking it to an Apple store to see if they can diagnose the concern?

It was charged and doesn't seem make any difference when charger is connected again?

Any suggestions?

MAT ALAN 21:52 25 Oct 2010

click here
click here

might help...

john bunyan 22:23 25 Oct 2010

Is it worth taking it to an Apple store to see if they can diagnose the concern?

Yes, they are usually helpful and will send it off for a free repair if it is faulty.
Does it show in Device Manager when connected , even with a yellow triangle?

Roy* 09:28 26 Oct 2010

When it's connected through USB on PC it's as if nothing is there, no icon, however when I connect a memory stick to the same USB port it's there?

gengiscant 09:52 26 Oct 2010

Take it to your local Apple store and if its turns out to be faulty,return it to Amazon for an exchange or your money back,including postage.

Roy* 10:11 26 Oct 2010

OK that was the plan, I'll phone the shop first to see if they'll look at it as there isn't one local, so it'll wipe out several hours.
Problem is he's bought a lot of music and software from itunes over the months directly on the iPod and not back it up, so if it is faulty I guess he may loose that? Is it a known fault?

gengiscant 10:27 26 Oct 2010

The apps are not a problem as you can download them again free of charge. Unfortunately the music he bought is another matter altogether as Apple will charge you again for downloading them.

Maybe the Apple shop will be able to access the ipod touch and backup the music etc to a USB stick or something.

Roy* 10:44 26 Oct 2010

let's hope so...

john bunyan 11:35 26 Oct 2010

I assume you have tried the iPod on another computer?
If you downloaded music by wi fi direct into the Touch, it usually "reverse synchs" the music on to it,s "home" PC. My grandchildren and I have 3 iPods with two libraries. Sorry to rub it in but it is essential to back up - I do this a) On PC, b) Clond HD on a secnd internal one,c) all "My docs" copied tp an external HD as well as an ATI image.I hope you solve it.Apple repair wont recover stuff but naybe the shop will.

Roy* 12:09 26 Oct 2010

Yeah tried it on daughters lap top and home pc. Pretty sure he hadn't reversed sync it as hadn't connected to home pc since he first got it to load on some CD's. Maybe he'll learn the hard way...We have an external HD which auto backs up daily.

Roy* 20:21 26 Oct 2010

Tonight it's taking charge and switches on after trying the reset but the screen doesn't respond to touch so won't take any inputs. Still can't be found as a device when connected to pc through itunes or device manager. I've booked a time with Apple shop Thursday night.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?