iPod Touch "Error 40"

Rob Gibson 15:46 09 Jan 2011

Hi,

I've been given my neighbour's iPod Touch to look at. It's stuck in recovery mode, which iTunes recognises and then gives me the option to restore. This process begins with iTunes displaying "Waiting For iPod" before coming up with "An unknown error occurred (40)".

Trawling the web produces lots of hits to do with "Jailbreaking", but no specific fix for my problem. I'm assured that the owner hasn't tried to jailbreak/hack the device.

My own iPods work fine so I don't think it's a PC/iTunes problem.

Any suggestions?

Rob Gibson 10:19 13 Jan 2011

Installed Tiny Umbrella, but it doesn't do anything!

gengiscant 10:42 13 Jan 2011

click here Scroll down to'Specific error codes and resolutions'then scroll down to'Error 20, 21, 34, 37, 40 and follow the prompts.

Rob Gibson 12:49 15 Jan 2011

Sorry, I meant ran, not installed.

The buttons shown in your screen-shot are greyed out on my screen. The iPod is showing the connect to iTunes screen and iTunes is "waiting for Ipod". Other than that nothing happens.

Rob.

Rob Gibson 13:24 15 Jan 2011

Hi,

Yep, pretty bad. I'm starting to think it's a hardware problem. It belongs to my neighbour's 15 year old son. Heavens knows what he's done to it, but he certainly hasn't taken much care. The back is so scratched you can't read the Apple logo, and he's also managed to scuff up the screen. I'm not spending any more time on it. Thanks for your help though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?