ipconfig & dns server address

keewaa 19:10 06 Feb 2006

When I do an IPCONFIG /ALL should the DNS address for adapter be the actual DNS address or the router address or does it vary depending on the router being used? Cause I see both in forum questions and was wondering.

Thanks

mgmcc 20:16 06 Feb 2006

If the TCP/IP settings for the network adapter are configured to get the DNS Server Address automatically, the address will be allocated by the router using DHCP and it will be the router's own IP address.

Sometimes, when there are problems with internet access, it can be beneficial to enter fixed DNS addresses using the ISP's actual DNS Addresses.

keewaa 21:23 06 Feb 2006

Another DNS question I have is that I have blocked the Generic Host process for win32 services from having server access and I get a firewall alert ;

"The firewall has blocked internet access to (IP of DNS) from your computer"

As I understand it nothing should be allowed server access unless specifically needed by the user, but as this is the svchost.exe program I was unsure. Should it ever need server access to function properly, if so why?

Thanks.

mgmcc 22:37 06 Feb 2006

Sorry, I've no idea on that one. In Zone Alarm I have it allowed as a server in the Trusted Zone but blocked in the Internet Zone and that hasn't caused me a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?