IP webcam for scenic views

nicktoeman 23:03 05 Dec 2005

I recently set up a web site for a holiday property 300 miles from where I live; it has stunning sea views that I would like to make available via the web. As the site is mainly unattended there should be no PC on site (power cuts are not unknown).
I might implement the system in stages, using a simple and inexpensive solution initially and improving it later. So I could start with taking shots at intervals during the day from a low-cost IP webcam through a window and progress to an externally-mounted, live, interactive, PTZ, wireless, environmentally-shielded installation if justified. Probably I would like to start with an internal, wired, fixed focus, moderately priced system. The location is served by a phone line but is in a broadband exchange area and I would consider upgrading.
Most IP webcams I have found are intended for security applications so many have PIR detection and audio that I don’t require and are probably intended to focus over a few metres only. Can anyone suggest solutions, equipment or websites that would help me?
Thanks
Nick

absent 23:21 05 Dec 2005

I think you may be unable to do this without a PC, my opinion but bumps your post.

nicktoeman 10:09 06 Dec 2005

I'm sure it can be done without a PC. As I understand it there are IP webcams that can connect (often by wireless link) to a router and have a built webserver function. As I say, I'm not sure how satisfactory most will be for "scenic" as opposed to "security" applications. I was hoping others may have knowledge of suitable cameras (hopefully not just top-of-the-range products)and other advice on similar setups (e.g. some cameras are apparently difficult to set up with different brand routers). Any advice is welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?